My Sarasa Comet

cupoftea

I have a beautiful Sarasa that is all white except for a red stripe on her dorsal fin that goes down onto her body a bit. (She's called Red Stripe, how imaginative!) But she's going a bit yellow on her head and tail fin. In the tank are zebra dannios and WC Minnows, so I've been putting tropical flakes in for them, cos they're easier for them to eat, instead of the goldies pellets. I've checked the label on the flakes, and it does say 'brings out natural colours'. Do you think this may have caused the colour change? And if so, if I stop feeding these flakes, will she return to her white colour?

thanks for any thoughts

cupoftea

Yes, the flakes are causing the yellow. And I believe that she will go back to white when you stop the flakes.

Tropical flakes don't have the proper nutrition for goldies anyway.

Spirulina flakes will also bring out yellow on a white fish. But orange goldies become so brilliant and that is what point of color enhancing food.

:D

Guest FinnyFriends

Just wanted to add that my Sarassa had the same problem. I was just starting to get concerned but noticed she was back to white the other day. I thought nothing of it until I saw this post. Coincidently, I did change her food recently. I didn't know to do that, I just felt like trying something that didn't have corn meal in it. So that must have been the culprit. I hope Red Stripe looks better soon.

I have a similar issue with a red/white telescope where it looks like the red has run in the wash and coloured the white a sort of organish colour.

I think it is food related, spirulina flakes will do it.

Archived