Testing Kits, Whats The One To Buy

Guest Redeem

Guest Redeem

Hi there,

My fish has been a bit jumpy and strange these last couple of days.

The tank is new, fully filtered and 3 weeks old.

I want to test the want to see if things are going well.

What is the best kit to buy that contains all I need to test freshwater goldfish (what is essential to test?) .

Thanks

hello there,

ok the test kits you will need to buy are ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and ph test kits at your LPS, they are the essential kits to have for certain.

how many gallons is your tank? and where is it positioned?

how many goldfish do you have in there too?

keep us posted.

marco

Hello and welcome!

Marco is right - but I will go a bit further. To properly understand your tank and water parameters, it is important to know a few more chemical readings on your tank's water.

Tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH are all essential. A test for kH and perhaps gH is also very important.

Aquarium Pham. has a"master test kit" that has everything you ever would need to test your tank in it, along with all the test tubes and instructions. There are also individual test kits for each thing that you can buy to replace what you use - when starting, I used tons of ammonia tests, now I use mostly nitrate and pH tests!

These are "drop" kits, where you add a certain number drops of reagent into a test tube with tank water and read the results. I find the results a bit easier to read than the other most common type of test kit - the dip paper.

There are kits that have a little square of reagent (or rows of them) on a stick of paper - you dip them in your tank water and read the results. These tests are extremely easy to do and fast. They are a bit more expensive than the dip tests, and a teeny bit more difficult to read, but are very good. They typically have two kinds you will need - an ammonia one, and one that does practically every other test a tank would ever need - nitrite/nitrate/pH/kH/gH all in one.

I am glad you are here. If you have not already, here is a good article to read on tank cycling....

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

:)

Guest Redeem

I've one fintail goldfish.

The tank is around 8 gallons, and is 3 weeks old so not fully established. It's a Biorb tank which as a 5 way water filter, so the instruction say cleaning and changing filter every 6 weeks.

I've bought the water testing kit; waiting for it to be delivered.

Still my little alpee fintail is jumpy. I've stopped feeding him for 2 days from this evening, as I'm worried I might have overfeed him in the new tank.

Guest ThugLife

I would not recommend getting more fish

because your only supposed to have 10-20 gallons per fish

there are master testing kits that you can buy

but they are expensive

Archived