Bad Bad Bad

RedCapMiggi

I refilled my 60 gallon and put my three fish in there. I forgot to put dechlorinator!!!!! I went to the store and came back...i found my big oranda on her back, hardly moving. I thought it was SBD. My Ryukin was on the floor hardly moving. My black moor was on the corner at the surface just breathing there. My moor had much discoloration in his fins and that's when i realized i forgot to put dechlorinator. I moved them all to the tank they were in before. I put a tablespoon of aqua salt for every 5 gallons. It has been about 20 minutes since then and my ryukin is moving around more. My oranda is no longer flipped. She is at near the surface but moves sluggish still. And my moor is still at the surface but he is moving around now. They won't eat anything still.

Is there anything else i should do?

There isn't much you can really do but wait :( I'd turn off all the lights and keep the room as quiet as you can to minimize stress. Don't try to feed them or stick your hand in the tank. I never knew fish were THAT sensitive to chlorine and such. I hope your fish get better soon, please keep us posted. Its a very good sign that they are all looking and acting better tho! I'll keep my fingers crossed for your three goldfish :)

Guest Chishower

Wow. Are you sure it was the chlorine? I mean, that could have been a part of it, but...wow. Thats a really bad reaction.

Were the temps the same? Could there have been a different ph?

Hope they recover quickly. :heart

Temps were the same, for sure. and PH should have been the same, same water. But now it's been about an hour and the black moor seems fine now. the oranda is still very very sluggish and the ryukin is recuperating slowly it seems.

Guest yabbie

What a terrible reaction.

When I moved my fry to a bigger tank, I took all of the water and rocks from the old tank and topped up with new water slowly over the next few days. You might have to do that when you try again. Give them a couple of days to recover tho.

Guest squeeker

Oooh, boy, I know how you feel. I've done that before...

When I first moved to Ottawa, I didn't know there were chloramines in the water (my water back home didn't have anything in it, so I had never heard of conditioners). I killed 6 fish before I was told what the problem was!

More recently, I set up a temp rubbermaid for some BN plecos I got: 2 for me, 2 for a friend. I forgot the conditioner... they started acting really strange. I put mine in my tank and left the 2 for my friend in the temp rubbermaid, and hers were dead in the morning. That's when I figured out what happened. Even though mine had been exposed to the unconditioned water for a few hours, they came around and are still alive and chowin' down on algae 3 months later. I don't know if there will be any long-term effects.

Archived