Can Apple Snails Transmit Disease/parasites...

Ginevive

I want to get a snail for my 55g telescope-eye tank, but I am worried that the snails might transmit something bad to my GFs. Is this possible? I could quarantine the snails, but they have been living at my friend's shop in their own tank and I have been eyeing them for awhile now so it's like they've been quarantined already.

Any advice?

Normally when buying them from a pet store or place similar no, but there are certain types of apple snails that my pet shop can't order because it is illegal to transport them from state to state due to them carrying parasites and such. I don't put adult brown apple snails in my pond that my dad brings from Florida because of that fact. I normally will hatch eggs and get them that way.

It is possible but since theyre isolated at the store already, they should be fine. Some stores (like ours) keep the snails with different kinds of fish so in that case, you never know what they could have. But it sounds like yours are safe already. If youre like me and really paranoid you could get them and quarantine them in a 10 gallon tank by themselves for awhile.

Archived