Tiny Clear Worms In Filter

Ginevive

I was changing the cartridge on one of 55g tank's two filters few days ago. (It's an Aquaclear made for a 30g tank; I have 2 of these filters in my 55g tank and only change cartridges one at a time, a few weeks apart.)

Well, on the inner sides of the filter, there are small, clearish worm things. Maybe about one centimeter long, each, all along the filter's insides and even in the tube. The other filter has them also. They are even all throughout the cartridges inside! They moved slowly and I was quite distressed to see them. I left the old cartridge in there for the time being, not wanting to taint the new one if I decide to wash the entire filter out with hot water.

Should I clean the filters out completely with hot water to kill them off? Or are they in any way beneficial? Or worse yet, harmful to my goldfish? (5 medium sized telescope-eyes are in this tank.) Someone on another board suggested they were harmless planarians.

Yikes, please help me.

I should add, the water I use is from a well, and is pumped right out of a spigot that is not attached to the water purifier. My fish are not at all unhealthy, except for the large telescope, who had swimbladder problems for 5 years before she was given to me by her original owner.

Helllllllp! :ill

These do sound like planaria as you mentioned in the header to your post. I would wash away as many as I could, and do a good gravel vac in the tank. Also, I would take a look and see if uneaten food is accumulating in the gravel or in the filter. They are not harmful to the goldfish.

here is an url about planaria

http://members.tripod.com/~lisajh62/Planaria.html

Guest OzzMosiz

if you wanna zap them you could try fasting your fish and see if they

will munch them (mine don't) - the other option is to move your

fish out temporarily and zap the temp upto or over 105degrees

to kill them.

I've got them too, only they seem to live in my gravel (the ones that escape the goldfish, that is), and I have city water. _Boy_ did I freak when I did an experiment with a philadendron and a goldfish bowl full of tank water sucked from the gravel and saw all these scary wormy things squirming all over the place... yech! But- I've been told they're harmless and even make an interesting snack for the fish.

Guest OzzMosiz

They are generally harmless. If they get in the fish's gills they can irritate

the fish. I've heard that snails will eat them if they are on a surface.

I only see the worms in the filter itself. I wonder if I could add a few small snails into the filter to clean them up, temporarily (my friend has a pet shop, has tons upon tons of baby snails.) Think I'll try it.

Archived