Ph Issues

Aftran

8.0 is fine for my fishies, but I lost 2 snails to off ph about a month ago, and now my apple snails are showing signs of shell deterioration. What can I do? I love keeping snails, but if my water can't support them I'm not going to buy anymore......... :unsure:

Im sorry you lost some snails. My pH is also at 8.0. Do you know what the GH or KH of your water is? The water here is very hard (ie has a high mineral content) so its great for my snails' shells. If youre really concerned there are additives you can get, like calcium blocks. They sell these in the reptile department for turtles' shells. Those should help out with your snail shells.

I have also heard and am trying those weekend feeder for fish. The first list ingerident(sp?) is calcuim. I have to use reverse osmosis water so my water is soft. I also use water hardener that I got a local pet store. And I have oyster shells (some broken up and some whole) My water is currently hard but not very hard and they are laying eggs so they must be happy. Shannon

Ill have to try the weekend feeder idea. I have Several snails and all seem fine but my ph is 7.6 and I read that they do best in 8.0 or more.

Archived