I Don't Understand How They Do It...

Ginevive

I was looking at a bunch of GF sites and found a few pics of a GF market in Japan. There were a tanks, maybe 55 gallons or less, with huge amounts of large, pretty GFs crammed into them. But all the fish were obviously healthy and definately high quality! How can they put so many fish into a tank like that and not suffer a bunch of fish loss?! Maybe a high-powered filtration system?

usually, commercial systems have a high flow rate, and reserve equalt to, or greater than, the tank capacity, and they assume the fish wont be in crowded environments for very long, due to sales. also, many sellers dont really care about thier fish. some do, and lets all promote the ones that do, but some are just about the money.

Guest RanchLover2

it also probably helps with sales, the sadder you feel for these animals, the more you want to take them home.

I know that is how I wound up with a zoo!

:rofl

Pet stores and places like that have huge centralized filtration systems that are really powerful. Also the fish are crammed in like that only temporarily, thats how they get away with it. And also pet stores and other places do suffer losses but most of the time they dont really care because they probably only paid a few cents for that fish.

Guest kerri_corbett

I know at vvvv, and mmm and other big chain stores their wall of fish is usually all connected to one filter or one system. Since they are all connected they can filter all the water from each tank so it is really like they have much more water to breath and all that good stuff. hope this helps.

kerri

Guest missjaala

Realistically though you couldn't expect them to keep their wall of fish with the 10Gal per fish rule, pet stores would have to be the size of malls!

My LFS has lots of fish in the walls of fish but all the display tanks are set up with the correct numbers, I think that's a smart idea. This way people can visualise what theire tank at home could look like with a realistic number of fish in it.

I think it's sad also! :cry1 The last time I bought a fish at vvvv, I was trying to decide on a calico oranda. I felt so bad as they took the one I picked and seeing the other goldfish looking at me as if to say " hey, what's wrong with me?". I made the right decision though, Cosmo is a cutie! :D If only I had lots of money so I could buy a lot of tanks and take them all home!!!

I went to an aquatic centre near us last weekend, and they had a pond fish section, with goldfish and green tench in the same tank. Believe it or not, all the tench (about 10 of them) were dead, and stuck to the filter suction bar at the bottom of the holding pool. I was disgusted, and asked the store about it - they said they knew, and it had happened a couple of days previous. They don't care at all - as long as they make money from what they sell.

Hi all:

I'm not sure where in the country you live,

but I have a mmm in Torrance, CA where I

visited yesterday just to look around. The man

that works in the fish department is pretty

knowledgeable about all of the breeds, but

unfortunately as I was looking around I found

a tank of orandas (about 8) all hanging with

their fins collapsed with their heads at the

top of the water gasping for air. I mentioned

this to the keeper and all he would say was

"thats unfortunate, but thats the way we