Might Be Getting Snails!

Guest Chishower

Guest Chishower

So..last night I was browsing the shipping and betta departments (beautiful crowntails) of aquabid. I was all finished and decided to take a look at the snails.

Bad move.

Mom said I couldnt have them, dad said "Sure, you can get them" so I am prolly getting three or four snails! Yay!

Is there anything I need to get at the pet store? I cant afford overnight shipping, will they be ok in Priority? Is this the start of yet ANOTHER addiction for me? Would they get along in the goldie tank, or should I give them their own pretty little tank? Do snails ever try to slime their way into the filter? o.o

This is the link to the auction in case that helps here.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...ails&1119722178

Thanks!

Wow, pretty snails, Chishower! And from Shannon, that is a good source of snails. She always takes really good care of them.

Snails are usually shipped priority, not overnight, and they do really well that way. They are properly packed in wet paper towel and either a plastic container or plastic ziploc bag.

Guest MonknSharona

Hi Chishower,

Those are great snails, and as Ranchugirl said Shannon has wonderful snails! They always have the nicest shells.

I've gotten snails shipped a few times and they do amazingly well. The orders I got took 3 days for them to be shipped; some were wrapped in paper towels in a container; another breeder put them in bags with water. Either way, they all did well; plopped them in the tank and they were out and about in no time.

To answer some of your questions (to the best of my ability), I personally don't put my snails in with my goldies. They can be a nice snack for some goldies, so I avoid that.

And if you are anything like me, and many other people, then yes, you are in for another addiction. We got our first snail (a cana) and within a year we had hundreds. :)

I personally like having snail only tanks. It's so much fun to watch them climb all over each other and hitch hike on each other's shells to get a free ride across the tank. They are so much fun to watch grow and are just a lot of fun to watch, overall.

You shouldn't have to get anything special from the pet store. Our snail tank consists of a filter, heater, decorations (we use fake as we have several different species, some of which eat plants), and a hood/light. Ours don't ever slime their way into the filter, yet. But they do have the tendancy to try to crawl their way out of the tank, depending on what type they are. We notice the canas try to crawl out more than the others; luckily they are so huge they don't fit out of the opening in the lid.

One thing I will add is to be sure to feed them foods high in calcium to help promote healthy shell growth. We feed ours snail cookies, which I think Shannon has as well. But they are a mix of veggies, foods, and calcium supplements to help keep them healthy and they absolutely LOVE them.

You should go to www.applesnail.net to learn more about applesnails as this site is like the apple snail bible! And their message board is full of folks who know just about everything is there is to know about these guys.

congrats to you!!!

Guest Chishower

Ok, I have another question for you.

I have read alot of posts talking about liqued calcium. While I was at mmm, (and after I finished arguing with the guy about whether the oscars are cute :rolleyes: ) I found this stuff. Kent makes it, and it says it is for marine tanks, corals, snails, and calcareous alges. Would this be ok to use in a freshwater snail tank?

Guest Chishower

Ok, good. I was hoping it would work because I already bought it, and if I couldnt then I guess I would have to start a salt water tank...cause I cant let a 7 dollar bottle of stuff go to waste! :D

Its almost official now, I am just negotiating shipping with her. Yay!

Guest Chishower

I will upload plenty of pictures as soon as I get them. Hopefully as soon as the end of next week.

Mom and I can't figure out paypal! :rofl

Guest Chishower

They are being shipped out monday! That means they should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

Can they eat the same gel food as my Goldies?

My mystery snail Sherlock loves gel food and bananas and freezedried tubifex worms and zucchini (sp?) Congrats on the new snails! I hope you'll enjoy yours as much as I enjoy Sherlock! I'm sure you will! :yeah: Oh and as was mentioned before I would be VERY leery of putting your snails in with your goldies!

:D Congrats on your new snails! I bet you can't wait to get them. I was one of Shannon's first Susan's first customer's from Koko's and I continue to pass her name along.Very nice lady with great looking snails.Susan also sells Snail Trail Mix,that Snails(and all my fish) love also. :) I have some Brigs in my Goldie tank.as long as they don't fit into their mouths,my fish haven't really bothered them much. I do have to admit that getting them to their veggies before the goldfish,has become quite the challenge! :yeah::rofl

Archived