Changing Water

my nemo

well, i've got a 20 gallon with 4 (which is WAY too much) and i clean it out every 2 weeks, though i should be cleaning it more because of how many fish i have. with a 10 gallon, i've read about once a week

If your tank hasn't cycled, you should be doing partial water changes pretty much every day to keep your chemical levels safe. ONce the tank's cycled, you can probably cut back to once or twice a week. I have a 10G and do a 20% change and gravel vaccuum once a week, but it's not overstocked like yours is, so you may need more.

I just siphon out a quarter of the water once a week in my 55g tank of 5 telescope-eyes. I do the same thing with my 55g tank of ranchu/lionheads, on alternate days to simplify things. I use the Python siphon, which is really helpful, and I just drain it out the window into the garden.

It is not a good idea to strip the whole tank down; you would have to re-cycle everything, I would guess, which would be a lot of unnecessary work. Periodic water changes are the way to go in my opinion!

Archived