Can Young Koi Be Sexed Like Goldfish?

Guest Shiari

Happy note: I only "mis-named" one of my fish! talk about luck!

Anyways, the largest of my young koi are about 3 1/2 inches long, the same length as my smaller goldies. Can I use the same sexing method on them?

And for another question:

I have four males and two females... When breeding time finally rolls around (a year from now, as they're only a little over a year old) will this be dangerous for the two girls? My largest fish (for sheer size) is a female, but the other one is really quite delicate looking. When they finally decide to breed, should I separate the two females with a male I'd like to breed them with?

I did the "flip the fish over" method that is on the site that you linked in regards to breeding. Are koi that different from goldfish in regards to their underbelly?

I'm too impatient to wait another two years to sex my koi! *flails*

Sorry, but other than the difference in shape when viewing the fish from above, I dont know of any other method to sex them.....I wish I could, then I could tell my husband why his koi dont have any eggs yet... :blink:

The only time we had any luck in breeding was about 3 weeks ago, when hubby just put 5 koi together in a 400 gl pond, and fed them like crazy. No idea which one is the parent! 2 of them were rather large though, about 2 feet, and one definetely a female. She was so fat, I thought she might explode...

Maybe you find more help with sexing your fish at Koivet.com. If anybody knows for sure, its Dr. Johnson! :)

I'm tempted to go to someone's pond and "molest" their fish, to see if this method can work also.

The goldfish method said my two larget koi were boys. Maybe I should go to mmm and mess with their poor koi to see if I notice any difference.

*ponders*

Hopefully the Doc will see that little post on sexing goldfish that I found over at koivet. I posted my q into there, and several other people are curious as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Yet again I have a male and female!

I used the goldie method, and then this method, and it seems I have a male and female. :nana

The female's sticks out, and the males doesn't.

With this method, the male has longer fins, my female has cute little round ones.

Brrrr... I'm condidering buying a heater or something this year!

Archived