New Owner+new Eggs=confusion

Guest ali_cat018

Guest ali_cat018

We have two Orandas that we got about 3 weeks ago. We went to go add new plants today and had eggs in the filter, on the pants, on the ornaments....everywhere. My questions are 1)to remove or not to remove that is the question. 2) if we are posta remove them how do we do so without damaging them? I did a quick go0gle search and a search here but didn't really find an answer.

Depends; if you want to try having fry, I would remove them. If you leave them there, your parents might eat them; goldfish are notorious for this. I would get a tank or bucket and put your already established tank's water in there, and then try and lift out the plants with the eggs and put them in the container. Leave the plants in there; the fry will need them for protection and resting on. I would try to put the ornaments with the eggs in too, so you can get all of the eggs. I don't know if you can remove them from the ornaments or not, but someone else with more breeding experiance will be able to tell you. Good luck!

Its easy with the plants, but getting eggs off of an ornament is somewhat tough. I would just take out the ornament as well and put it into a bucket of tank water and an airstone. Eggs can be damaged very easily.

Btw, Ali Cat, :welcome !

Are you planning on keeping them?

Guest manini

Ali Cat,

Please tell me what you decided to do... I'm a new "parent" too, but I decided it was easier to remove the mommy & daddy, rather than disturb the babies. But I'm thinking that your babies need more shallow water. And your mommy & daddy would benefit from staying in the tank with the filter, whereas the fry would not.

The only eggs I found were on the pebbles. Since your are everywhere, gosh, that must be hard!

Guest ali_cat018

What's hilerious is that after all that work to find info, i was glancing through a very basic aquarium book the other night, not even looking for the egg info, and it was right there the whole time. The book said that if they are on plants or ornaments, just take them out and place them in the breeding tank. The glass ones can be taken off VERY CAREFULLY by using a razor to gently scrape the eggs off the glass into a fine mesh sieve, and them it's off to the breeding tank.

As for mine, not many survived, one of my orandas ate most of them out of the plants, not to eat the eggs really, he loves the roughage and they just happened to be there. The few that are leftover appear to be unfirtilized and I have taken them out. There are 5 or so that have a decent color to them so I'm gonna leave them and let nature take it's course. I wasn't really planning to breed so soon, if they hatch cool, if not Im not going to be too upset.

FYI, everyone on this site is so helpful and friendly. I have been "lurking" for a while but I can see that i will be around alot more often.

Thanks to all.

You are welcome, and keep us posted how the eggs turn out! You are lucky - I am looking at my fish right now, and NONE even has a thought in the direction of spawning.... :(

Oh, yeah, Lizzy, please! But just a wink - anything more than that and I might get flooded with fry! :rofl

Guest Lizzy

;)

Just scooped up fry again...with yolk sacs attached.

This time I decided to share them around to some friends that are fish-lovers, hehe