Sign in to follow this  
Guest GA REBEL

Ranchu And Lionheads

Guest GA REBEL

I know that they are technically different breeds, but I have heard that you can rear Lionhead and Ranchu from the same batch of fry. Does anyone know if this is true?

Not sure; since their different species I don't think you could unless the parents were a ranchu and a lionhead; maybe then you could. I have trouble telling the difference, but think ranchu's have a more arched back in general, and that the lionhead is supposed to be the Chinese version of the ranchu, so I don't know how you could decihper the difference between the two from fry, as they have different variations. Unsure though, it's just an idea, and I'm sure some one else knows this better than me, or you could ask the question in the Breeding fourm.

Lionheads are lionheads, ranchus are ranchus whether in china or on mars :lol: , and most of the time it's not true atleast if you're breeding ranchus with ranchus

I would think the visual difference between the two would be why you would think that one can come from the other. A cull ranchu fry may look identical to a lion head, and vice versa. Alot of fry can revert back to their 'common' form, and look like a common. They are still ranchus, justlacking the physical characteristics to make them so. Just my take on the question anyway.

Not sure; since their different species

345993[/snapback]

their the same species, just different varieties

Guest Vinnie65

I've never heard that but...you never know.

"Their the same species, just different varieties."

You're right; mistake on my part, should have said different breeds, I suppose. Thanks for the corection, just put the wrong word in.

Edited by Roano

If you breed a ranchu/lionhead mutt with either lionhead, ranchu, or another ranchu/lionhead, you will genotypically (genetic make up) you will have ranchu/lionhead mutts. Phenotypically (physically) their charactoristics can look like either lionhead or ranchu, or both :)