Air In Shell?

benno

Well, I've spotted one of my ramshorns floating on the top of the water a few times. I've figured out that it's because it has air in it's shell, which makes it float to the surface if it loses 'grip' on anything. Is this normal?

snails will do this when they are playing....go over hte bubble wand, and float on to the top and cruise around for awhile hanging out of their shells.... does he eventually fall to the bottom?? they will either do that or adhere themselves back to the side of the tank as they *crash* into is!

I couldn't really begin to explain why this happens, but it has happened to me on many occasions. Sometimes it would seem like forever that the snail was floating. Mine always came back down eventually. Like Alex said, you can help them attach to something as well.

How long of this floating before you figure they are dead?

I have seen mine float for a bit like what ya'll are talking about, but a couple of the new ones I got still haven't come out of their shells (days) so I don't know what to think! :blink:

I've never had a snail float that was dead. *shrug* Maybe it's just me, but mine all die on the bottom and their bodies fall out of their shells. Sorry if that's a bit graphic.

A lot of mine float after I take them out and put them back in again. Especially the younger ones.. the oldest ones are used to me handling them but the younger ones close up and float as soon as I put them back. I've had snails float for a couple days before and it turned out they weren't dead.

Snails like to float.. it's how they get around in the wild, if they've eaten all the food in one part of the stream/lake they close up, float, and let the current take them where it will.

Archived