Are They Or Aren't They?

Hey All~

My black moor will NOT stop chasing my black oranda! I fel so bad for her! The thing is I know that this can be a sign of breeding, but my moor has no bredding stars whatsoever, plus the fact that neither of them them are mature enough yet to even get the job done, if you know what I'm sayin'...So what should I do? My liy=ttle oranda looks helpless! :( I have to go to work but do I need to stop by my lfs and bet him his own little compartment till he calms a bit or what? I want all them to live happily and not be run down by excited little Darth right now! Help! :heart

Gee, it's hard when you have to go to work. If it were me I would play it safe and seperate them somehow, a large container with an airstone should do the trick while you're at work. You'd never forgive yourself if something happened while you were away.

Okay, I came home earky because I was worried about them...And guess what? He DOES have breeding stars on him! I just couldn't see them due to where his head...er...was. So, here is another ignorant question; what do the eggs look like? Just curious so I know what to look out for...

Hmmn, eggs look like little white dots, pin head size, look for them attached to plants. Good luck, my fish eat their eggs as soon as they're laid. :rolleyes:

Ok, are they separated? Sometimes the female can lay several batches over a couple of days, she is more likely to be stimulated to develope more eggs if she is still in the company of a male. It's up to you whether you think she needs to be separated, split fins is quite normal after such frantic activity. If you feel that she is otherwise no worse for wear than you could leave them together.

Melafix never hurts and it claims to help heal damaged fins so you certainly could add some if you wish. Before you add anything do a decent water change, any uneaten or unfertilised eggs will pollute the water.

I don't really see any eggs anywhere acually, I'm wondering if he's mature and she is Not...I just know that he's given up for the time being. I haven't seperated them because of the fact that he's stopped for now. I don't really have a place to put him anyway, but is there like a little seperater or something you tink I could get?

So no eggs yet...unless she dropped them and they all ate them before I got home to see them...Ewwww! Anyway I'll go get everything I need tomorrow after work, so let me know Fishmerised if you think I should try that little seperator Idea. Oh and one more thing; How long does this usually last? And will it help if a turn the heat down? I keep my tank at 74 Degrees F, and I know that is the ideal breeding temp.

Guest manini

My female just laid eggs recently, and I didn't think she was old enough either! To give you an idea of her age (because I have no clue), about 6 months ago, she was less than 2 inches long and was being sold as a "lg feeder fish" for 50 cents at the little fish store around the corner from my house.

I think the male is probably about a year old. His name's Wally - I got him from nooppee. He's much bigger - and he chased the female around their 10 gallon tank relentlessly for weeeeks!!! WEEEEKS!!! I was so distraught that I bought him a new home (I had no idea that what he was doing was NATURE...)

Guess he finally got what he was after! (Got her to lay eggs, I mean. I don't think he wanted to get put outside.)

Manini, that is a cut little tub. :)

ORH, you could try a large plastic colander, you know, like a sieve. This should float in your tank. If you are ever worried about her being injured just pop her in the colander and she should be out of harms way.