Sign in to follow this  
Guest manini

More Babies!

Guest manini

It's me again. For anyone who isn't familiar with my case, I cleaned my 10 gallon tank yesterday, and after putting my fish back in, was stunned to find one little fry zipping around. To make a long story shorter, I took him out, tried to feed him a bit of boiled egg yolk, but he ended up passing this morning.

Tonight, my boyfriend was looking in the tank, and saw another little fry swimming around! I'm stunned, again! I took a look, and found small bunches of eggs, too, clinging to the pebbles. It's scary, because I hosed the rocks down when I cleaned it yesterday. I got a plastic fork and started sifting through the rocks to try and find any more eggs that may have been buried during the hose down. I think I found about 25 or so.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high here... at the same time, I'm so concerned for the little ones... they're in about 4 inches of water - is that too much??? Do they need light to find the food? Or does the light bother them? Is it okay if I can't see them (Does that mean they're hiding? Or is something wrong?) WHY DO THEY DISAPPEAR LIKE THAT??? :krazy: I'm sorry for all the huhu, but I'm going nuts!

Hi and welcome to kokos :)

4 inches of water will be fine.When mine hatched,they were in about 8 inches of water :blink: I didn't know then that they were supposed to be in shallow water...it's a relief that some survived though :D I also had a light on and I don't think they were bothered at all.Newly hatched frys tend to stick to plants,sides of the tank or just lay at the bottom.It won't be at least a couple of days before they're free swimming.Maybe your babies are somewhere in the gravel.When you start seeing them free swimming,that will be the time to feed them :D Good Luck!Hope that helped a bit...

oo! congrats!

i think coyote hit the nail on the head there, there is not alot to add.....

congrats anyway!!

Guest yabbie
I'm sorry for all the huhu, but I'm going nuts!

344179[/snapback]

Yeah, goldfish babies will do that to a person.

Ignore them for a few days. Try deep breathing and maybe yoga or meditation. There should still be plenty of green stuff in the tank water for the earlier hatching frys to eat.

Goldfish fry seem to thrive on neglect... which is why you still have some after cleaning out the tank. :blink:

Guest manini

thanks for the reassurance! I only see 2 little ones. One is definitely bigger than the other, and they both seem to be sticking to the sides of the tank, and the plant leaves. I can't help but sit there and strain my eyes trying to look for them! The eggs that I rescued are clearish-whitish. Does that mean that they didn't get fertilized? I have to do more research...

I think my main concern is that the tank is so big and they are so tiny, that they'll never find the food when I feed them.

Guest yabbie

Whitish is bad... clearish is good. Give them a day or two to see if they go clearish-pinkish which is fertile.

oo fry's! :)

unfertile eggs will be white and eventually grow fungus on them.You would want to take those out since they can spoil your healthy eggs.Keep an eye on them for another day or two :)

i cant wait to hear the results of when they are little frys :)

Guest manini

Since yesterday morning, I haven't been able to find the 2nd fry. Last night, my boyfriend said he saw both, but still, I only saw one. Early this morning it seemed that jr. began to swim freely and stopped sticking to the glass and plants.

I visited a couple pet stores, and couldn't find any Hikari baby bites. I picked up a thing of liquid food, made by Wardley's. Also, I set an airstone in the tank, and I let it run every now and then. I don't like to keep it going too long, because I think it scares the little guy.

The eggs are pretty white. No pink. If they do grow mold, will I be able to see the mold right away? What will it look like? Fuzzy? Black? Green?

Thanks everyone, for the helpful advice and encouragement!!!

Guest manini

Hooray! I can see the 2 fish! I thought they were playing "clark kent" with me, but now I definitely have 2... happy happy!

That is great to hear :D did any of the other eggs hatched?? :unsure: You will definitely know the bad eggs since they will be very white and eventually will grow fuzziness on them....Good luck with your frys :)

Guest manini

Sad to say, none of the eggs I found hatched.

But I do have good news! I just saved a ton of money on car insurance... Just kidding...

I found another fry! She was swimming around in the oak barrel outside with her father (on Father's Day). I scooped her out with a coffee cup, because I didn't want her to become dinner. When I separated Wally from his mate, I guess the little one slipped in, too! I'm glad I found her so I could put her with her siblings, in the tank inside.

So now there are 3...