Any Ideas?

Hi everyone I am need of some help......

Okay, well I got a 45gal tank last week and it's been sitting in my basement and I think it's time to get it going.....

First things first....a few questions if you all don't mind.

1. there are still some hoses and a filter, among a few other things....I am wondering if I should use them or not?, I have not a clue as to what type of fish was in there before?

2. What type of filter should I run in there? I am currently using whisper in my other tank....and a sand stone now that I finally figured the dang thing out... :hmm (I would like a penguin or an emperor) is that okay?

3. On to the fish to get......I love the black moors (my fav) but how about something differen't like a oranda or a ryukin? I have seen some really big ones at the store so I am curious to know how many I can get?

4. Live plants or no live plants? I have not expremeinted with live plants for a long time so I am kina iffy with them sometimes...though they are gergous in a tank.....

I think that is it for now...Sorry bout the rambling.....I just want a nice big pretty tank B) And I want to do everything right.

Any suggestions are appreicated so don't be shy tell me like it is...LOL

Thanks in advance everyone..... :grouphug

Oh yes I forgot to mention I have checked if for leaks and it's fine it just looks old like it's been sitting for awhile. I still need to get it outside to clean it out, can I use the vinegar treatment or is the bleach treatment work better? I have some freinds that use vinegar. Any other suggestions on cleaning it?

Thanks,

Della

Hi,

You're so lucky!!! and I'm so jealous coz I have always paid cold hard cash for my tanks from the LFS.

If you have no idea what happened before, I'd nuke the tank and all pipes/hoses just to be safe. (Bleach)

What kind of filter did it come with? I've not used HOB filters, but from my experience, I like cannisters a lot. I'd run 2 to 3 filters on that tank.

Choices, choices, choices. Setting up tanks, choosing fish is so much fun...

(Makes me want to splurge out)

Slugger :)

Guest Phreno

I would feel wierd using a filter, but not knowing what it was used for. Getting an emperor or 2 couldn't hurt. Maybe ask who you got it from what the filter was used for? COuldn't hurt to find out...

well I actually have 2 of them....so if ne one is in need of another just let me know I would let it go for a resonable price.....

As far as asking the person who had it before me I can't do that either, my father in law brought it to me, he works at the city garage where people just dump their stuff they don't want ne more...it's kina like a huge garage sale to some people!!! :P

I am not sure what kind of filter is in it now, looks really ancient though.....lol I will double check though.

If anyone is interested in the other tank let me know it's about a 45gal to my knowledge and it has stuff with it, rocks,filter and cartigades etc. Any takers just pm me I can get some more info on it....

Thanks for the advice thus far.....

Della

I think for the cleaning of it, if it has any of the white buildup, vinegar would work best for cleaning that off. I like to soak outside with a bleach concentrate for a while, rinse really well and then let it "bake" dry in the sunshine for a while. The sun's uv rays really helps with the disinfecting part of it.

Have fun setting it up! :D

When ever I've bought live plants I ask the shop assistant what one is the easiest to grow. Of course, the hardest to grow always look the best! Make sure you disinfect any live plants before adding them to the tank, I found out the hard way.

Good luck with the freebies!

Thanks everyone but one of these hand me downs has to go!! I just don't have the room for both tanks right now and would love for someone else that had the room to have it....otherwise it will sit in my basement!!!

If anyone lives near Appleton WI or Madison WI let me know I will sell it for a good price........I would just rather have it go to someone who can put it to good use..and I know your out there.....LOL

Thanks for all the advice on the tank that I am keeping!!! B)

Archived