How Do I Care For This Little One?

Guest manini

Guest manini

:newfish Hi, I'm new here... Thanks for reading my post:

I have a 10 gallon tank where I kept 2 common goldfish. One is quite big, at least 6" long. The other is smaller, about 3.5". They were destined to be feeder fish, so I "rescued" them from the pet store when they were little. Recently, the bigger fish started being hostile to the smaller one, so I went out and bought a container pond (it's a half oak barrel with a plastic liner). Once I got it all set up and put plants in, I put the big fish in. This was about 2 days ago.

A few hours ago, I took the 10 gallon tank outside to clean it. I used a jug to scoop out the small fishy, along with about a gallon of water. After I cleaned the tank all nice-nice, I put some fresh clean water in, then poured the fishy in with his gallon of water.

I sat there watching him enjoy his clean home, when I noticed what I thought was a worm or a mosquito larvae zipping around in the water. It's body is clear with grayness. It's smaller than a grain of rice! Upon closer inspection and observation, I'm almost sure it's a baby fishy- right now I'm in a little bit of shock, since there's only one. I have an idea of what happened to the rest. :crp

I don't know what to do next! Please, please, please, any opinions/advice/help would be appreciated.

Aloha!

Hello, Manini, and :welcome !

Sure a great surprise you stumbled upon there, hm? :happydance

Does the little thing look anything like this in the below link?

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=30688

Keep in mind that the container in the link is really nothing but a coffee mug or something, so the fish is really smaller than it looks there. More like the smaller fish in the 2. picture.

If thats indeed how it looks like in a mini-mini version, then you got yourself a little fish. As to your question what might have happened to the rest of them - goldfish aren't the greatest parents, they eat their eggs and fry. Maybe the little guy was clever enough to hide out in gravel or behind a plant.

Lets here if it looks similar, and then we can find out what he likes to eat... :thumbup

Guest Lizzy

Welcome to Kokos :)

Sounds to me the "hostility" was just your fish getting it on :D

First off, if you want to keep that one alive, you'll have to seperate it from the bigger fish. Scoop it up with a little container or a spoon or something. Put it in a shallow container because deep water isn't good for fry.

Then becomes the tricky part - keeping it alive.

Is the fish free swimming or does it stick to the sides?

If it sticks to the sides, its probably only recently hatched and is still feeding of its yolk sac. In that case you dont need to feed it yet.

When its free swimming, it will start looking for food.

Most people here swear with baby brine shrimp. What you could also try is some boiled egg yolk, crushed up, and try and feed that. I myself use liquifry 1 in the first stage and sera micron later. Feed only tiny amounts though, because the biggest danger is overfeeding, which will result is bad water quality.

The older/bigger they get, the less fragile they become, but especially the first few weeks are a challenge. Good luck and enjoy! It really is entertaining to watch them grow. :)

Guest manini

Hmm... the little guy is still in the 10 gallon tank, but there's only a couple inches of water - I moved his mommy out. I didn't know if it was okay to move him into a small (coffee-cup size) container, but that would make it much easier to find him! He seems to enjoy frolicking in the plants, and lying among the pebbles. He does look like the ones in your picture (in the cup, where two are crossing each other). I tried so hard to take a pic, but he's just too small. I'll move him into a small container (hopefully then I can get a good pic) and start boiling an egg for him to enjoy, right away! PS... how long can I keep the cooked egg yolk to feed him, before it goes bad?

Mahalo for your help!

A single small fish like your darling doesn't need much to get around - an egg yolk is probably better off if you just eat the rest after a day or two yourself.

Those guys feed on things that we don't even see, so he might just find enough hanging around on your plants and gravel. Hikari makes fry food called "first bites" or something - its basically powdered food, and it lasts for a long time in the sealed bag. Other than that, you can chop up a frozen bloodworm or daphnia, or you might even find frozen babyshrimp in the pet store.

Just a word of caution - those guys at that age are very delicate, and they take things like moving around into new water or container very "seriously". If you can, let him be in the 10 gl tank. The level of the water sounds perfect, they love shallow water. The water pressure in anything deeper than a few inches can crush their little body.

I'll take it you are from wonderful Hawaii?? :heart

Guest manini

Okay, I waited and waited for what seemed like an eternity! I thought I'd lost him, and I was beginning to worry! I gently put the container in and coaxed him in - that took a long time. He's feisty. I put a teeny weeny scrape of egg yolk in, but I don't think he's found it yet. I like him better in the container where I can keep an eye on him. He seems to be doing well, but sometimes he swims funny, like in little circles. I wonder if he has a lucky fin like Nemo? But when he swims up to the surface and back down, he goes very straight.

By the way, this site is excellent and very helpful. I've turned to it many times for fish help. I can't thank you all enough. And yes, I'm originally from Hawaii, but I moved to California recently. Taking care of fish here is a lot more difficult than it is in Hawaii!!! I always used water straight from the tap, but here, there're lots of junk in the water!!! Plus, the temperature varies greatly here, too. The tap water here is freezing cold! I'm constantly learning, and my fish are doing well thanks to folks like you.

(manini is a small Hawaiian reef fish. 'Manini' means 'puny' in Hawaiian.)

Daily 10% water change 5% or less at a time can simulate the natural gold fish enviroment where water is constantly being replaced, try to do it by syphoning through an air pump if you want big goldies :D , but be careful of not flushing water down on them.

Guest manini

:cry1

If you don't like unhappy endings, then don't read...

I woke up at 7am to find baby lying on it's side, motionless. Poor little guy... The last time I saw him was before I went to bed at 12:30, and he seemed to be doing just fine.

Sorry everyone. And thanks again, for all your kokua.

Archived