Female Betta Kills Male Betta In One Day!

2befree

OK maybe I did something stupid. I put a male and female together in a one gallon bowl to breed. Woke up the next morning and male betta is dead and partly eaten. :blink: I thought that the female bettas were the one's that needed to hide from the males and not the other way around? What did I do wrong? I feel bad I had no idea that she would kill him :(

Guest Sapphyra

If you're looking to breed, I would do it in a much larger container. 1 gallon is just too small. My friend breeds bettas, and when he put his pair together, the female tore the male apart, so he got the male out before it was too late.

Are you positive its a female? It most likely was a short finned male, which are highly aggressive. The only way to really ID a female is by the white bump on her underside, between her fins. Also you shouldnt keep males and females together anyway unless you have a very large planted tank (Im talking 30-40 gallons or more). Otherwise the male will just kill her.

hey if you want to breed u need to do this.

1: get a ten gallon tank with heater and a light filter. fill 50% of it with water and let it run with heater set at 80 degrees (have no gravel and add some plants real or not

2: feed both female and males live food(brine shrimp,bloodworms ect..) 4 two weeks 3 to 4 times a day. the female should have eggs by now she will have a horizontile line on her and a fat tummy

3: add the male to the ten gallon tank let him settel in for a day (feed)

4: put a jar or hericane lamp in side the ten gallon tank and place the female in the jar/lamp,(make shure she cant jump out. and turn the filter off)

5: let the female and male get to know eachother 4 a few days (continure feeding.)

6: wen the male has bilt a GOOd buble nest release the female into the thank(becarfule u dont reck the buble nest) the female will proble not go to the bubble nest a frist the male will chase her there.

7: wen the female and male are under the bubble nest they will embrace and the eggs will start to drop

8: the female may be unable to move momenarialy paralized take her out asap.( dont worry about her being beat up a lil or him its ok.

9:the male will continue to put the droped eggs into the bubble nest. in a few days the eggs will hatch wen the hatch u should feed them baby brine shrimp( u can get the shrim eggs at a prt store, all u do is add water to the eggs and presto shrimp in a day or to. so hatch them ###### soon as the bettas hatch.) u can also feed then powedred betta food or masquito larivi.

10: wen the babys start to swim do a water change about 40 to 60% and turn on the filter so that ist one buble per second( u can get a filter valve at a pet stare too)

11: wen the babys are free swiming( they no longer need daddy) u can take him out. and add water to the tank about 5% a day. and turn on the filter

12:and finaly wen u can start to define wut sex they are seporate them into difrent containors.

Thankyou all for your replies and thanks kissez_61 for the detailed info. :)

jsrtist I didn't know that there are shortfinned male bettas I will check her out to see if she is really a female. She lives in a 7 gallon bowfront tank with a couple of cories and a few zebra danios. I keep 4 male bettas in seperate 1 gallon bowls was 5 males now its 4. I had 2 of them for over 2 years.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to bread your

bettas you have to have atleast a

5 gal

i heard that when you start trying to bread them

your suspose to feed them at least 4

times a day so that the male or female

thinks of eating there mate.

Archived