Swim Bladder

Roano

One of my fish seems to be developing SB alot lately. I feed him peas and this helps, but I was wondering if salt will help with this disease. My tank has been cycling lately, but has been finished with its nitrite spike for awhile and currently has no nitrate readings. I know that nitrites and nitrates can cause SB, but he started developing it after there were no readings of either in my tank. Does anyone have any idea about salts effect on SB? My tank is currently salted at less than 2 teaspoons of Aquarium Salt.

I've heard that spurilina can cause SB sometimes; is this correct?

I don't think salt will help with floating problems. If your fish is better after eating peas, then I think you are dealing with a constipation/gas problem. I would try altering his diet and see if that helps.

Try feeding more vegetables (such as blanched zucchini, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, kale, spinach, etc.). Also frozen foods such as bloodworms are helpful. I have had good luck feeding homemade gel food to my fish that have exhibited signs of floating from constipation/gas. Well cooked rice is also recommended. When you do feed commercial food, make sure to soak the pellets (although if you are feeding Progold it is not recommended to soak this since it will disintegrate). After you soak any hard pellet, squeeze it a bit between your fingers to get any air out. Also, soak all flake food before feeding.

What I would do right now, is fast your fish for 48 hours, then feed peas.

Also, unless you are treating for a specific problem, I wouldn't recommend keeping salt in the tank all of the time. As for the spirulina, I have read that it can help with floating problems :D

Please keep me posted and feel free to ask questions :)

I do feed them some vegtables, but usually three. Before feeding peas, I havn't fasted for a few days, because I have two other fish in there with him, although I suppose they would all be fine.

I feed them mainly Wardley flakes, spirulina, blood worms, and a pea usually twice a week. Sometimes I feed them baby shrimp. I soak all food except the bloodworms and shrimp, because I can't get them to sink. Now that I think about it, I haven't been feeding them many bloodworms because I didn't want them to get too much air in their swim bladder by sucking at the surface. Should I disregard this and just feed them bloodworms anyway? I'm thinking now that maybe a varied diet would help with SB more than a a little excess air.

Also, my salt is diminishing; I haven't really been replacing it since my nitrite problems have disappeared.

I would try fasting them (the other fish will be OK) for 48 hours and see if this helps. If it does, then you are more than likely dealing with a constipation/gas type problem. I know it is hard to fast the little devils, because they just look so darn hungry when they are begging at the front of the tank! Then feed the peas.

Try using frozen bloodworms because they sink. They are a little messy, and with just three fish I would just cut a small portion off of a cube and feed that and keep the rest of the cube frozen as bloodworms cannot be kept once thawed.

See how the fast works, then let me know how things are going and we can go from there. Good luck and please keep me posted :)

I gave them bloodworms last night, the floating kind, but none seemed to have a problem with it, so that's good. I started fasting them this morning, just checked on them now and they're engaging in vigourus begging behavior, and trying to prove how hungery they are by eating the little air bubbles from the filter, but no one has died of starvation yet!

Apart from diet, I've noticed that changes in water temp can also cause floating probs.

In the past, some of my goldies would "float funny" when seasons changed (I didn't have a water heater at the time).

Any help?

Slugger

Thanks for the tip, Slugger. I'll try and keep an eye on my temp; I don't have a heater and generally temp is around 75-78, a little warmer than usual but we've been having high temps (high at least to Washington) here.

It's now been about 30 hours, get to feed them tomorrow. How long do I feed peas for, just a day?

Feed them a breakfast of peas, but looked at them later and he was still floating alittle, but not badly and he seemed to have control of his swimming fairly well, so I'm happy about that. I'll keep feeding them their peas.

It sounds like your fish's problem is diet related, so I would try and feed him a diet with lots of vegetables, and try and eliminate any food that makes him float. As I mentioned, frozen bloodworms are a good choice (Hikari brand is the one I would recommend since they are sterilized). Homemade gel food works well with a lot of fish that float, as does well cooked white rice.

I am glad to hear that he is doing a bit better and please keep me posted on his progress :)

More peas; still floating, about the same bouyancy as yesterday. I will try to get some frozen bloodworms, but am currently short on money, because I am setting up a twenty gal tank.

They're currently overcrowded, but water quality is fine for now. I didn't cycle correctly, and because I have three in only a twenty gal, it took forever to get over a nitrite spike and even with daily water changes the nitrites were at about 2 for awhile. I've heard nitrite spikes can cause SBD; could SB be effecting my fish permanatly?

Thanks for putting my mind at ease; I really don't want him to be this way permanatly.

One of my fish used to have the same problems, but worse, floating upsidown alot. (The first time I saw him this way shocked me; I thought he was dead.) He seemed pretty calm though; my current fish with it seems to be handeling himself all right though.

Another question; can fish die of SBD? I've heard people say that but wasn't sure if it was SBD combined with another disease or not.

I think they can eventually succumb to it, but I would think it would be a combination of stress, lack of proper nutrition and secondary infections from the skin drying out from floating at the surface. JMO, though.

Yeah,

I had a similar thing happen to one of my Orandas when I had an Ammonia/Nitrite spike last month. He still hasn't really got over it and swims "funny" :(

Touchofsky, is there anything that we can do?

Slugger :)

I'm currently dealing with a floating fish (Harry) as well. I think it's swim bladder disease, I've tried everything and nothing has worked at all, so I know how frustrating it can be. :angry: The poor guy's been either floating or sinking for over a month now, but other than that he seems fine. I've heard of fish living for years like this. I know it isn't the greatest thing, but I'd rather that than losing my fish.

As for fish dying of the condition, I did have that happen with one about a year ago. However, this was my sister's fish and I think that the water quality was pretty horrible at the time. Hopefully if we keep taking care of our little floaty guys they'll be fine :heart

Fed them a few flakes today; still were kind of floaty but not as bad. I'll keep feeding them more of a variety of food, and hopefully this will improve their conditons.

Keep track of what you feed them and what makes them floaty, then eliminate those things from their diet. I have one fish that can only eat a few things, and the only commercial food she can eat are shrimp pellets (soaked).

Archived