We Have Lift Off!

Incandisco

Yesterday, the replacement 75g tank arrived - and today, it's underway. I'm just waiting for the water to heat up in the tank to around 25-30 degrees, then I will add the bucket of water containing rotted fish-food. It stinks of ammonia, and it burried the results table when I did the ammo test! About 8ppm!

So I'm doing a fishless cycle on a 75g, which is going to seem to take forever!

But it's gonna be worth it! My Eheim filter will deal with the colour of the water in a few hours, then concentrate on breeding bio-bugs!

(The water in the rotting bucket is cloudy to say the least).

Anyway - I'll try and take some "Setting up photos" to drool at whilst it's cycling!

:happydance

Ok, I got 25 degrees - and the thermostat is set on 30. That's close enough for me for the time being. I've just added my StressZyme bacteria supplement, and the bucket of horrible smelling, rotted food. The water has (as predicted), gone really cloudy, but at least I'm now registering 2ppm ammonia in the tank! Something to get things going.

I take it I need to keep adding fish food each day until the cycle is complete? I bought a really cheap, but really pot of goldfish flake today, and I'd never think of using that brand to feed my fish - so I'm going to use it to keep the ammonia levels up as the tank cycles.

What do I do by the way? I think it's get to 3ppm ammonia, then wait until it goes down? Or just keep adding a handful of food to rot each day? Any waste at the bottom, I can vacuum up before I add the fish, as so far, I've not put any gravel in the tank. There is so much space for bacteria in the Eheim filter, that I can do the cycle without getting my gravel dirty with rotten food!

Here's an update....

It's the end of day 8, and things are definately happening in the tank. I'm doing a fishless cycle and letting nature set my tank up for me.

I stopped adding any food to the tank 4 days ago, and now I have the following...

4ppm ammonia

2+ppm nitrite

Too much Nitrite to measure Nitrate accurately...

pH 7.5

Temp 30.0 degrees....

I'm just waiting for the ammonia to start dropping. Seems to be taking forever.

Today, I put the gravel into the tank, and a couple of fake plants, and the airline and bubble wall. Piccy's will definately be on here soon, I've just been so busy that I've not had time to edit them down to 60k or less!

So is there anything else I should do to speed up the cycle, or is it just the waiting game now? I'm sure my 2 fish are looking at the new tank from their old one - they seem to spend a lot of time against the side, just looking at it! I hope they can swim - it's pretty deep in there! :rofl:happydance

from my limited base of knowledge, i would say that the gravel will help. it gives bacterias a nice hiding place, and just where most of the decomposition takes place, the bottom.

i dont know how you can look at a huge tank like that for eight whole days, and not have fish quarentining in buckets all over the house. i know thats what i would be doing.

Believe me Mike, it's taken a degree of restraint that I never knew I had! I've seen 2 shubunkins, 2 fantails and a comet this week alone, that nearly came home with me!

Unfortunately, the food has now all de-composed and been sucked up into the cannister filter, so it's all happening in there at the moment. Maybe if I add a bit more food into the tank, and let it sink into the gravel? What do you think - is that too much with the ammonia already at 4ppm?

I'm still waiting for the lid to be delivered as well - I ordered a custom-build for that as well, so it matches the cabinet, and the rest of our furniture! It's cost a fortune (as often it does in the UK) - but it'll be worth it when we see the new community in a couple of weeks time! I'll be using the small 10g as a Q-tank, and moving the other fish in as soon as the water is safe!

Ho-hum!

Here's a piccy - It's not much to look at, but it gives an idea of how the setup is coming along. It's not dirt at the back by the way, look close, and you'll see it's a double-bubblewall that makes it look dark at the back.

80w of SunGlo lights in the hood as well! I just wish the cycle would hurry up!

The fish in the little tank beside (you can just see the edge) keep looking at the big tank and wondering what it's for! :rofl

post-11-1068072241.jpg

Day 16...

Ammonia 0ppm (!!!)

Nitrites - Off the scale! (12+ ppm)

Nitrates - Can't get a reading because of nitrites.

Question is... Do I now have to add any more food to the tank to keep the cycle going (as there is no more ammonia for the bugs to consume) - or will this just add more time to the cycle?

Any ideas?

Ok,

Well, I'm still adding food to the tank - no change in the ammonia, so there are enough bugs to deal with the ammonia now! I've done a small water change (!) about 50% to be precise! And I now have about 3ppm Nitrite - hopefully this will be under control soon as well!

Soon, I'll be throwing new fish in I hope!!!

Nitrite now 0.8ppm..... 0.8!

It's nearly time for a fishy frenzy!

I can't help wondering if I should buy 5 new fish, and let them quarantine away in the new tank together, or should I put the 2 existing fish in the new tank, and get the new fish 2 at a time into the old tank to quarantine.....

:goldfish

Lots of deep water exploration to be done by the old fish anyway - they'll love the new tank. I'm testing twice a day for nitrite now, just to see when I can go "fishing" at my local store - they had a wonderful orange-based shubunkin the other day, with like a black lipstick around it's mouth..... I WANT!

:happydance

Archived