I Rescued Two Sick Fish Which Were Left To Die.

Diva

My friend works at a garden centre nearby, which also sells goldfish. She noticed 2 left in a tub, covered with black plastic, nothing what I would call oxygen, no water movement, just still and probably festering water. They had white spot severely, and were left outside amongst the rubbish and debris. Apparently the fishkeeper was too cowardly to put these fish out of their misery, and told my friend that he had forgotten about tem, and didnt feed them.

This really stressed me out, so I hav rushed out and bought a new 63 litre tank, as large as I can afford at the moment. It comes with filter etc.

What I want to know is...........if I add one of the pads from my mature filter, will it help to cycle this very new tank? They are too sick to put with my healthy fish. My quarantine tank is being used for a new arrival, so a new tank was my only option.

What I see wrong with them is very ragged tails and fins. One seems to have some white hanging bits from mouth region. (fungus? mouth rot?) Dont know how I should treat them, dont want to push them over the edge with tons of meds, which I usually find uneffective. In the UK anyway!!

They ate some high protien pellets, they were ravenous. Poor little things. They are fantails, not sure how they have survived this long.

Any advice would be so welcomed. I am worried the tank being new, and hope a cycled filter pad will help. Will try to post some images of the mouth.

That is very sweet of you to purchase a new set-up for these little fellas.

In answer to your first question about cycling with mature filter media. Yes, it will make one heck of a difference to use some media from your existing tank. Also, any gravel you can spare from your existing tank will help too. Also any water you can spare. If you can fill the 63 litre with 50% tank water plus do the other things mentioned above, your tank will be practically cycled. All you will get are a few little spikes, especially if your 2 fantails are only small.

But hold your horses for a second, I am going to recommend that you try a multi-cure medication such as 'Jungle' something, 'QuickCure', etc.

You have indicated protozans (white spot), bacterial (finrot and columinaris) and possibly fungus as well. May as well use a treatment to cover all bases. Since you will be using these meds in a new tank with a fragile cycle I would suggest delaying the addition of the mature filter material until after treatment is complete. Save the gravel for after as well, however still fill the 63ltr with 50% tank water.

You will need to test your water daily for ammonia/nitrIte. This could be difficult as many medications are dyed and would interfer with a test tube result, a dip stick/paper strip test should still show true. Failing this change 25% of your water daily during treatment and feed moderately.

Good luck.

Hi, and thanks for getting your post back to me so quickly.

OUCH..........firstly I have already added the filter pad to the new filter, plus I did add some of my tank water, but probably not 50%, maybe 25%. Wish I had seen your reply earlier, but I wanted to get them into a decent home quickly. Didnt want them thinking they were being plunged into yet another useless vessal (my bucket)!

I am not sure I have ever seen a multimedication as you describe, not in the UK. If anyone in the UK has seen anything like this, I would be eager to know its name, and where I can purchase it.

I dont expect them to make it. I am worried so much about them, and have grown fond already since they seem so docile and unafraid of my hand. How anyone can be so heartless, beats me up inside. Fish are nothing to so many people. *growls*

Going back to the cycling....I dont have much gravel in my cycled tank, and its is relatively recently added. Unsure if it would have collected anything beneficial.

I have melafix. would this be ok to add as a tonic? Also does anyone know if melafix would interfere with cycling?

Maybe if I get the meds or somehting simliar to what you suggest Fishmerised, I could remove the cycled pad before adding anything.

They dont seem to be particularly lethagic, and are feeding.

Oh one more thing to report...thick, long transparent poo. bacteria........says it all!!

Those poor sweeties seem to have everything. But whatever happens..they have their last days in a brighter happier and caring home.

Thanks again fishmerised for your help. Anything else I should know..I am happy to listen.

Ok, it sounds good. Don't worry too much about the poop yet, their tummies are probably just getting rid of the old muck inside. Hopefully you will see some good poop tomorrow. Also don't be tempted to overfeed, their little tummies have probably shrunk.

Yes, I would take out the filter material before you add the meds.

I would not add melafix now since it is likely you will add some other meds tomorrow. You could add some salt though, up to .3%, but only add .1% daily. (.1% is 1 teaspoon salt per gallon)

I'm sure you will find some multi-cure med in the Uk. We probably have a dozen different brands to choose from here and Oz is particularly backward when it comes to fish med. All you need look for is something that says it treats, whitespot (ich), fungas & finrot.

I will go and take a look in my fish store tonight. I am SURE if I had noticed these type of meds I would have bought some to have in, incase of emergency. I lost some fish to ich combined with finrot, and it would have been good to have something to treat both at once. I forgot to mention that one is black eyed, and one eye looks milky....cloudy. Do they ever have this appearence naturally. I am not sure if this has developed or if its always been this way. Thinking cloudy eye!!

Ok no melafix.

Will salt bother the cycle? should I remove it first? was thinking of salt, but want to know if I should remove the filter pad or not.

No salt won't bother the cycle.

Gee, I hope you find something at the pet store. Perhaps ask the manager, I think tri-suphur also treats everything - they are bound to have something. Good luck.

Just letting you know that I couldnt find any multi treatment at lfs. I have added the salt treatment, and Oh Myyyyyyy they look to have improved already. I must also tell you that there was another one in the basin which went unnoticed, which I incidently rescued also. They all seem to be doing fine, and hopefully will make a full recovery. I have been adding a small bucket of my cycled tank water on a daily basis. So far no unpleasant readings regarding ammonia and nitrite.

I am so happy to have given these little angles a home. Names are Duke and Duchess, and Nippy, named because he seemed to nip at the others, but thankfully has since stopped that!!!

Aww I love the names you picked out. I run a daycare, the kids have grown very fond of my fish as well. I have 2 comets that have passed on which the kids named.......Steve and Clem *looks around at everyone.....It's from Blue's Clue's* hehe. I also have a deceased comet, Brutus Sr. Right now Brutus Jr. is fighting for his life. Have 2 other comets too. The Brutus' got their names whilst I was out of town on a business trip and entrusted to err you are so going to laugh....entrusted my family of fish to my regular city bus driver and his family that took me to and from work. hehe. I came back and I had anothe 2 fish named.

Thanks fishmerised and JenW. The tank seems to be stable still. I gave them a water change today, just so they are in the best quality water, to help them stay on the road to recovery. They are lovely fishes. Will post some pics soon. Thanks again for your support and kind words!!

Hi there. :)

I just wanted to say that you are in very able hands with Fishmerised. I just wanted to point one thing out:

You probably won't need bacterial medications. Goldfish have the ability to kick bacterial infections started by parasites very well. Especially if the source of the infection is removed. In this case, ich. Keep treating with a 0.3% salt solution (1 tablespoon per gallon, UK) and I'll betcha your new arrivals will continue to improve daily. Within a week and a half, all signs of ich should be gone. Raising the heat to 80-82 degrees (F) will speed it up even more.

You are such a hero for these three little souls! You should give the store manager a serious tounge lashing for being so haertless and cruel. I mean, what, he decided that a slow painful death, riddled with parasites, was better than seeking help/treatment or euthanization? That doesn't compute.

Anyway, good luck with them. They are sure to thrive under your care! :heart

Paul

Thanks for that Paul/toothless.

My friend made it clear to the person in charge of these sick fish, that he was cruel, and also told him that she had taken them, and that they are now doing well. When she leaves her job next year, we plan a lot for that place. She will find out where they get their licence to sell fish, and tell them how they are treated. Also they dont have a quarantine tank, and the all the tanks there appear to run from the same system, thus when a disease arrises, the whole lot get it. They apparently used to have a quarantine tank, but kept forgetting to treat and feed them. So hopefully when she leaves...they wont be allowed to sell fish anymore.

Thanks for all your advice. Salt is in, and temp up. They seem to be doing so well. Not much ich on them now one or two spots. Fungus seems to have gone too.

I am doing my best. I am fond already!!

cheers Paul.!!

Archived