Hatchlings!

Guest moosefactory

Guest moosefactory

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

I took these while I was moving fry from my pond into a nursery tank inside. The white container is a regular sized tea-cup, so that should give you an idea of how (not) big they are! I was worried about moving such tiny fry, but these have all made it - the little crossed spines at the bottom are now miniscule-but-recognizeable-as-fish fish - the larger one has a black/gold glow. They little ones are a week old now...

Guest moosefactory

YIKES! These pictures are enormous!! Sorry!! At least you can see the little guys up close (they're about a million times smaller in person!)!

Congrats!!! Your fry look a lot bigger than mine...And its not just because of the pic size either :) do you have any idea of when they hatched?

Heres a pic of one of mine I took today :) Mine are 11 days old post-3964-1118041288_thumb.jpg

Guest moosefactory

The little spines were freshly hatched - I watched them come out of their eggs...the bigger ones??? No idea - a couple of weeks maybe, judging from the growth of the newbies...

Guest Lizzy

Looking good Moose :)

I like how you were able to capture even those tiny little ones who just hatched!

My goal is to make a picture of the fry curled up in the egg still - now if I only had a good camera!

Though, it might be an idea to split them up into 2 batches - large and small ones.

I had one fry that was actually born on the same day as the others but grew a little faster, and he ate all the little ones last year :(

Just a suggestion though, maybe yours are a little less verocious :D

Guest moosefactory

I was worried about having them all together as well, but it was actually the larger ones (there were 3 that were bigger than the biggest ones in the pic) that didn't make it - no idea why. I see in the pond today that there's also a batch of bigger fry (20 or so) swimming in the algae at the bottom - 2 or 3 cm each. As well as lots of smaller ones and more hatchlings. Exciting! I'm looking forward to seeing them with actual colours!!

(PS - I guess I would be the "factory", not the "moose" - moose was the name of my first fish, a black moor, and after whom the aquarium came to be known amongst my friends here in Korea)

Guest Lizzy

:D

You're lucky - the best part is when they start to colour...at least I think so!

Please keep the pictures coming, I love to see them :)