Now Look What Ive Gone And Done!

jsrtist

I brought home another betta last night? it was one of those situations where it was breaking my heart to see him sitting there in that cup week after week with no one buying him?

We got a shipment of bettas in a couple months back with some beautiful Cambodian roundtails. Most people who come looking for bettas want the veiltails, not the roundtails (except for the people to buy them as fighters? dont even get me started). Ive always been drawn to the unusual looking ones and this one just really stood out to me. His fins are longer than a standard round tail, and they have a fringed edge, making him a crowntail roundtail! :) Hes got the Cambodian coloring?pale body with dark fins. His bottom fin is dark red, his tail is blue, and his dorsal fin is white. How could I pass this guy up!?

Anyway I really wanted him way back when he first came in but I knew I couldnt have any more. (I only have 5 tanks up and running, come on now!) So I would always place him in the front and hope that someone would buy him and he wouldnt live out his life in a little cup. Then one day I showed him to a girl who wanted a fish and she walked away wiht him and I was so happy I'd sold him! THen she brought him back and said she'd changed her mind.

So I was doing betta water changes yesterday and saw him lying in his cup, not looking too well and decided I just had to buy him and would explain it to the hubby later. I'd had an upsetting day, already losing a pearlscale I really wanted to save, and wasnt goign to let that happen to him too. So welcome the newest member of my fishy family! Forgive me for having him in the cup while I decide where to put him. Dont worry, he'll be getting a tank! :)

post-18-1067041827.jpg

Thanks! LOL Fireworks is cute! I havent really thought of names yet. I was thinking Leftover since he was at the store for so long, but then thats kind of sad, huh? I was planning on setting up a nice 10 gallon home for him, but now I have a sick puffer, so that tank is kind of occupied. I cant wait to set up an actual tank for him. Those bettas have no idea what to do with so much space after getting out of a cup!!

LOL - we did the same thing last weekend. My daughter begged me to get two bettas at nooppee who were in about an inch of water. I put them in some old betta vases we had and then found a 5 gallon tank on the local classified and put them in it. I bought some plastic mesh stuff in the craft section at nooppee and cut it to size as a divider in the tank. They do nothing but flare at each other. They are both strange colored - one is purple and white and the other is a red and white. The red one has the large flowing fins and the purple one has the round fins. I will have to get pics and post them soon. We are still working on names!

Lachfa, how did you get the mesh to stay in your tank? I have some too and was wondering if it would work as a divider. Got any pictures of it? Also your fish sound beautiful! Im always drawn to the unusual looking ones. LOL

I moved my little guy out of his cup and into a bowl that holds about 1/2 gallon. I have never really had a fishbowl! Its definitely only temporary! He seems thrilled with all the space for now, though. Im hoping to move him into an actual tank as soon as possible. I took a few more pics of him today, all happy in his new house. :)

post-18-1067296341.jpg

He is very pretty! I have tried several things with the divider and am still not done. I just cut it tight and put it in, one pushed through once so I cut a narrow piece and ran it between the side and the mesh that ran across the tank - hard to explain. I will try to remember to get a picture tonight. I also burried the bottom in the gravel and made sure the top pf the mesh when all the way up to the tank lid. This is what I plan to do, I am not sure if you will know what I am talking about or not - but have you ever seen report covers that are just clear plastic and you insert your paper and then run a colored plastic thing down the edge? I am going to use two of those cut to size to run the edge of the mesh in - I might even redo the tank and use sealer to put them in permanently. Like I said it is hard to explain but I will try to get a picture and post it tomorrow.

Lachfa, I did exactly that kind of divider for my betta tank... I siliconed the report cover strips to the tank, and the divider just slides in. Only problem is, you have to wait a few days to a week for the silicone to set well... I had no fish when I did it, so it didn't matter, but you'd have to find some temporary homes for yours if you did that.

That is too funny - great minds think a like! I am going to try to just put the report cover edges in without sealing and see how that holds up - if not, the bettas will go back to the vases until it dries! I hate taking that tank apart - it is a pain. It sits on a shelf that is just tall enough for it, I have to add the lid after I have the tank in place becuse it sits up under the table the shelf is a part of - hard to explain but it is not fun. And 5 gallons of water is heavy when you are moving it around.

Wow, all great pictures!

jsrtist, he really is unique! I'm really surprised he lasted that long with no one buying him. That Figi is gorgeous also!

Lachfa, I love the one with the white!

Thank you! Lachfa your bettas are both so beautiful!! I especially love the one with the different colored fins. Theres a name for that but at the moment I cant think of it. Im always especially drawn to unusual fish like that. Thanks for posting the pic of your divider. Thats a really good idea. I actually have some of that craft mesh that I used to use in my 30 gallon to keep my goldies apart. Meeko always managed to squeeze through it though and then I'd come in and find two fish on the same side of the divider! LOL

Well, Ive had my new guy for a week now (I think I'll name him Mirage?dont know why but it fits him). Hes still in his bowl. I feel like the biggest hypocrite ever after always going on about how wrong it is to keep fish in bowls. I still feel that way but get this?little Mirage looks so happy in his little bowl/deathtrap. Im still just keeping him there temporarily till I find an old tank of mine (hoping it didnt get thrown out). But get this?its about a 1/2 gallon to 1 gallon bowl, and I put some silk plants in and gravel. Hes swimming around so happily and even building bubble nests!!! Even my fish in their big tanks with filters dont blow nests anymore. I dont get it! I feel like I go to all this trouble for my fish and then here I am with this stupid bowl and hes looking so happy. And another concern is that the temp in there has dropped to 70 degrees in the past few days. Hes still looking perfectly happy though. Is it safe to keep him that cool? My others live in heated tanks that stay at 80?. Anyway Im just a little worried about that. I might just put him in my other 10 gallon that I usually use as a quarantine tank. At least that one I could heat. Please let me know what you think! Thanks. :)

I had my two in the betta vases for about a week until I got the bigger tank - it's only 5 gallons I think, but that is big enough for bettas. I figure if all they had at nooppee was about an inch in a little cup, they will do fine in a gallon until you can upgrade. As for the temp. I think that is getting a little cool - I would probably move him to the other tank. Good luck!

Archived