New 60 Gallon.

I recently aquired a 60 gallon tank. I have 2 goldfish right now, A Ryukin and a Black Moor that are each about 4 inches long.

I was wondering how to stock the tank. I'm thinking 3 more goldies and a few tetras and white clouds with the temperature set around 70-72. Sounds good? Or what do you guys suggest.

Sounds ok since you get 3 mroe golddies(remeber it should be double tails because each need 10 gallons & single tails need 15-20 each) I don't think tetras are alright because they need a heated tank but white clouds + danios are a good combo :)

I have a 66 gallon tank that I have had running for about 2 1/2 years. It is stocked with 5 fancy goldfish and 8 white clouds (one of the white clouds is fry that just showed up swimming with the big ones :lol: )

They have all done very well together.

Good luck with your new tank :D

Hi and congrats on your new tank!

I would never mix tetras with goldies--they have different needs. In fact I just don't have other fish with my goldies.

And I am one for optimum amount of space. I have 3 large fancy goldfish in a 50 gallon and in my opinion any more than that would be overcrowding.

Also, remember the "golden rule" of fish-keeping: Always quarantine new fish before adding them to your tank. Many haven't done this and there have been disasters/fish deaths that could have easily been avoided. It is recommended that new fish be quarantined for 30 days, even when they look perfectly healthy.

Good luck! :)

Hi and congrats on your new tank!

I would never mix tetras with goldies--they have different needs.  In fact I just don't have other fish with my goldies. 

And I am one for optimum amount of space.  I have 3 large fancy goldfish in a 50 gallon and in my opinion any more than that would be overcrowding.

Also, remember the "golden rule" of fish-keeping: Always quarantine new fish before adding them to your tank.  Many haven't done this and there have been disasters/fish deaths that could have easily been avoided.  It is recommended that new fish be quarantined for 30 days, even when they look perfectly healthy. 

Good luck!  :)

337231[/snapback]

Well I checked out peaceful fish that tolerate low temperatures and white clouds and some tetras such as 'black phantom tetras' do well in temperatures as low as 68 and all the others do well in 70 or 72....so if i have it at 70 i dont see the problem.

I don't want just goldies, i think the tank would look stale.

Stale? to each his own, but i love having my goldies rule the tank! They are so colourful and playful! I have a bristlenose, but she hides behind anything you see in the tank so you rarely see her, and a i have a snail who is b-e-a-u-t-i-ful!

I think having some tiny danios/white clouds/tetras would make it look unbalanced as the fish are no doubt going to grow huge and the little topicals are just going to stay small.

Most tetras are native to South America and prefer their temp in the mid to upper 70s. Also black phantoms max out at about an inch and a half and would become a snack for a larger goldfish eventually. Tetras are schooling fish and should be in groups of at least 6 or more of the same species. They also prefer more acidic water with a lower pH than goldies, and tend to prefer slow-moving water, where goldfish like (and need) lots of movement.

I am a purist when it comes to my goldfish tanks and dont like keeping anything else with them. Really, nothing else is a perfect mix for them. Bottomfeeders tend to not get enough food because goldfish are so greedy wiht their feeding. I mean, you can compromise and have everything, but then nothing is going to be optimal for each species.

Just my $0.02.

In the past I have kept lamp eyed tetras in with my goldies, only if the tankwas properly heated to around 75 F. Not everyone agrees on it, but it has worked in the past. Just be careful. They can easily be eating, if you buy too small of fish. I did this a few months ago, with some lamp eyes and some other smaller tetras, and all but on of the smaller tetras was eaten up... :( but the lamp eyes are going strong. I had a set of three for three to four years in with Mr. Orange.

I'd just be careful with getting other fish in the tank.

Archived