My Grandbaby Is A Hero!

Hi guys, I haven't posted in a while (life gets in the way), but had to pass this story on!

My 3 year old granddaughter (and her mother) have moved in with me. Due to an abusive father, she does not speak, or interact with people in an outward way. When they first moved in, the remoteness of this child was heartbreaking. We couldn't seem to get her to come out of her shell.

But she loves my fish! I just put my goldies out into their prefab pond on the deck last week, and she loves to watch them, giggling when they beg for food. She helps me change water too!

Her mother and I were in the living room, and my granddaughter suddenly became very upset, crying from the other room. Before we could get to her, she ran into our room, grabbed her mommy's hand, and shouting "Go! Go! Go!", pulled her mom to the back door...

Where my newest fish lay flopping on the deck! We scooped him up, and tossed him back into the pond, where he is recovering from his adventure...

This was the very first time she had used words to communicate! I'll bless that fish every day! Because of him my granddaughter reached outside of herself and asked for help when she needed it.That incident has opened a floodgate for this child, and she is talking more and more now!

Who would have thought goldfish could be so important?

Robin

Guest ForeverTheBard

awww! Robin, that is awesome! I'm so happy for your family!

Just a thought - you might also get her involved in music, even if it's just a little electronic keyboard. I have a friend who works with speech-delayed and autistic children, and music therapy is a great way to get them communicating and interacting with other people.

FTB

That is a very nice story, I am glad for your little girl.

Also you can play games with her, nowadays there are tons of good games for kids as young as two, and it will make her talk and interact while having fun.

Among the best (for a 3 years old):

Go away monster - http://www.funagaingames.com/control/produ...oduct_id=014491

Orchard:

http://www.funagaingames.com/control/produ...oduct_id=014600

What a great story! It gave me chills. :) I hope that she will continue to grow and progress. Animals have a great way of being therapeutic.

Guest Onefishtwofish

That's an amazingly touching story!!

Here in BC, there's a program (i'm not sure what it is called) in which children can go and interact with various animals in order to overcome obstacles, such as communication, fears...etc. Sounds like your granddaughter's interaction with the fish has soothed her in a remarkable way! I'd encourage her to talk with the fish, and if possible, let her "care" for it. The results could be astounding!

Thats amazing! How exciting that must have been. Animals can be wonderful things for children. My son is 15 months, and i have been an animal lover my whole life, and he is soo caring to animals...

I hope she progresses, and comes out of her shells. It must have been hard on her to have an abusive father, especially at such a young age. Im so glad to hear she is no longer in that situation. It sounds like you have a wonderful grandaughter. :heart

That is so wonderful Robin! I'm glad to hear she is doing better and VERY glad she and her mother are with you now. It may take a while for her to get over the abuse she has suffered, but being in a loving and stable enviroment will help her come around, I'm sure. Children are amazing. I think it's great she loves your fish so much and helps you with them. :)

Edited by fishrpets

Guest Esareh

Now im 100% sure a tropical fish wouldnt have helped that much. That goldie may have thought "ya know what? That adorable little girl doesent talk... I wonder why? but she loves us hmm..." *jumps*

See? goldies are just as good as tropicals or marines.

:cry1 That was the best story ever!! Don't you wish you could hug that fish?! I have a three year old little girl. The thought of someone hurting something so precious and sweet just breaks my heart. You hug your little hero for me. :heart

Keep posting and let us know how everyone is doing- fish, grandma, mom, and little one. :):hug

Aww! That is really a touching story. The fish really did teach her to reach out for help if something bad happens, she came out of her shell, and she saved the fish! :heart

Aw, that was the sweetest story I've ever heard! Sometimes things touch us so deep that we need to embrace it, and fish is her thing. Aw, I'm so relieved to hear she's opening up, the old home must have been so horrible I can only imagine. Please pass many hugs onto her from me. That's such a heartwarming story.

Wonfderful! I hope your fish keep reaching out to your granddaughter!

She is a very smart and brave little girl - this looks like a good sign that she will pull through and remeber love and beauty. All the best to you and your family :heart

Thanks to every one for your kind words, and thanks to Ced for the link! Update:

Carrot top the fish is doing well since his jump, I put him on a round of medigold just to be safe.

My daughter started her new job this week, and is settling in well

My grandaughter is starting speech therapy on Monday, part of a wonderful free program here called "first steps". They provide help for abused children that are behind for their age. I think she will be OK, she is talking more every day. And her latest words are "Yeah! Go sing!"

By the way, I've stocked my inside tank with tropicals, and she never looks at them. She just likes her goldies!

Robin

THAT wonderfull!!! XD I always find it amazing how animals can change people so much!

We take our miniature goats out to go to goat show all the time, and there was one at the county fair one year. So i was walking them around the fair grounds, getting some exersize, and there was a group of retarded kids who were visiting with their school, who wanted to pet the goats! I was afriad they would either-

1. jump up on a wheel chair

2. or run terrified of the chair

they did niether! my baby Cosmo walked right up to the side of it and nudged one of the kids hands. he stood there and had his ears pulled, tail puuled, hair ripped, and just took it. he knew..

If i tried to pull that with him, he wouldnt speak tp me for the rest of the day!

Time to get her her own goldie tank? lol! If your anywhere near sac. cali i would let you guys come see my critters! we have everything.. goaties, sheep, a mustange (who is about as wild as cracker) rats, cavy, etc. :D