Compatible Fish

David Dude

I've been thinking of getting a new aquarium (50-75gal.) and was wondering what fish (besides the ones on Koko's list) can go with goldfish. Just name a few that you are pretty sure can go with fantails, moors, etc. :D

pretty much only other fancy goldfish...

of course you can have your apple snails, loaches, plecos(not commons) but not really other fish, per se...

Guest Phreno

I agree. Other than snails and algae-eaters, you shouldn't put other fish in the tank. Things like white clouds and danios are o.k. but in the longrun it would be better for them and the goldfish not to be together. Although from what I hear loaches are quite fun to watch.

I do have white clouds in my 66 gallon planted goldfish tank and they have done very well. I only keep fancy goldfish and would not recommend putting white clouds with commons or comets. I don't think you will have any problems keeping a shoal of white clouds in a large tank such as the one you are setting up with fancy goldfish. Just be sure to buy at least six white clouds since they like to be kept in a group.

In some of my other tanks I have Chinese hillstream loaches, bristlenose plecos, dojo loaches and peckoltia. All of these have been kept successfully with my fancy goldfish. I really enjoy the antics of the dojo loaches, and the hillstream loaches are really neat as they speed around the tank. With hillstream loaches, you have to make sure you have an established tank with a good coating of algae plus they like a tank with good oxygenation and current.

The bristlenoses (ancistrus) have to be the best algae eaters I have ever kept, so if that is a concern, I would highly recommend them.

Hey guys,

Most of these fish you have mentioned, I know are compatible (ecept for the horsehead loach) with my goldfish, I don't plan to have comets or commons in that aquarium but just regular fancy goldfish.

there really arent too awfully many varieties of fish that can be compatable with goldies.... kinda leaves you with not much to choose from :(

Ive never had a pleco, but they kinda freak me out...too suction-cup-ish... *shivers*

ive never tried the minnows or anythign like that, cant tell you too much there..

I personally love the snails and loaches.... i think loaches woulld probably be your better bet, since snails can be exteremely messy(the big ones) or overrun your tank with babies(the smaller ones) I would recommend brigs(pomacea brigdesii) snails if you opt for them...best of both worlds, not big, or messy, dont eat plants, lots of pretty colors, and dont breed like rabbits!

Loaches are cute and playful, good bottom feeders and clean up crew, although they need suplemented like any other fish with algae wafres and such... theyre a heck of a pain to catch tho!!! fast as lightening!

Touchofsky...

my lfs is kind of a specialty place, so i can get lots of odd stuff there....

heck, they have the first batch ever of tank raised batik loach babies!

the horsehead loaches are just too cute, they are kind of cross eyel looking, i just want to hug em!! I have 2, and they never leave each others side! I love em to death! :heart

You are lucky to have a shop that carries the unusual :) I tend to keep an eye out at the local shops, and if you are vigilant, you can usually find what you are looking for eventually.

I'll keep a look out for the horseheads :D

My lfs carries unusual varieties too, most of the time, has anyone heard of the dragon fish, those I believe are compatible and are pretty rare. I've been looking over the fish mentioned and I might buy a horsehead loach, but does anyone know if clown loaches might be compatible? :yeah:

:) Dragon Fish are pretty cool and supposed to be compatible with Goldies in tanks from what I've read.Just remember that a Dragon Fish is capable of reaching around 22 inches long. :yikes:lol:

yup, clown loaches would work...plus, theyre cute! and they eat baby snails if you ever happen to get overrun!

Devs! :yikes 22 inches long?!?!?! sheesh, they would eat the goldies!!!

:lol: Normally,in most fish tanks,I hear around 15 inches,but they still have Possibilities of reachig the bigger number. :o Dragon Fish are also called Arowana's by the way for anyone who isn't aware of that. :rolleyes:

hey guys,

Yes, I know Dragon fish are capable of reaching 20in. in length and even bigger, here's a link to a webpage that has info on a HUGE Dragon Fish from a zooclick here.

Hey Devs I'm not sure if we're talking about the same fish here? The Dragon Fish I'm refering to is the Violet Goby, and I'm pretty sure it's not the same as the Arowana :huh: .

post-3633-1117860297_thumb.jpg

post-3633-1117860319_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't get a clown loach since they need pretty warm water + if you keep dojos with clowns dojo will have a short life span because of the extreme hot temp... + CLowns are really hard to take care of & they need like 30gallons of water each or something because they can grow very big...

Weather/Dojo loachs are way cool because they are more active & much hardier(Both diesease or changing to a diff PH)

Archived