Sign in to follow this  
Guest IluvMyBuddy

What Should Be Ideal Water Perams?

Guest IluvMyBuddy

I have been having LOTS of trouble with the water lately and myfish has suffered from high nitite poisoning. he now has fungus, had fin rot, and now i found a few of his scales has fallen of. His behavior is the same and acting happy as ever. but at the end of the day he sits at the stop of the tank yawning..

I used to use the strips as a water tester and they told me water condtitions were ideal as soon as i fixed the nitrite prob. now that i bought the drops one, it's telling me adifferent story. here's what it tells me

pH - 7.4

ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

according to what the box tells me this is bad.

but then i hear otherwise.

someone please help with my prob. what is the ideal perams and why has my fish' scales fallen off??

also, i just bought a potted amazon sword plant. should i take it out of the pot or put it in as is?

does he have a milky coating around the head or gill area?

as for the results you have the tank water seems perfect to me. does it have a test for nitrate? which test are you using as maybe someone might have the same one.

. . . also check and make sure the tests haven't expired. I realized this the other day when I went to check my water.

Guest IluvMyBuddy

thanks so much for the replies!! i feel like no one is helping me! i posted stuff on the 911 and i get faster responses here!

I have the Fresh Lab made by Red Sea.

it does not have a nitrate test. justpH, nitrite and ammonia.

so my perams are okay? :< then what's wrong with my fish? should i medicate him with maracyn? it makes the water all cloudy though...

Hi there. :)

I'm thinking perhaps there are some other problems here. Your water params show excellent results as far as the quality is concerned at this point. However, this might have only just now come to be. To be REALLY sure as to what your problms are right now, we need all of the info from the white box above. With all of that answered in a much detail as you can, we will be MUCH better equipped to diagnose your goldfish for you. Then, a successful treatment is right around the corner..... ;)

By the way, I'm going to move this to the disase diagnosis forum. I check the disease diagnosis forum everyday and will be happy to help you through it all. :D

Post back soon. :D

Paul

Guest IluvMyBuddy

here is everything to the best of my knowledge.

pH. 7.4

Nitrite 0.05

Nitrate ??

Ammonia 0

10 gal. tank running since april 2005

There is and always has been just one fish: Buddy fancy oranda gf about 2 years old.

i change the water once a week 25%, but this past week i have changed 20% everyday because there was a nitrite problem.

Each water change i put in a teaspoon of Amquel + and three teaspoons of aquarium salt.

Last friday i just changed filters from a Top fin 10i to a Whisper in-tank 20i because the last one just wasn't cutting it.

I notice there is fungus on Buddy's tail and wen. Also, just yesturday I noticed a few of his scales missing. i dont know if it's from rubbing 'cause i haven't seeen him do that andi watch him almost 24 hours a day. He was experiencing some fin rot, but it is healing now. I am currently using Maracyn.

I don't know the tap water's chloranmous (?)

I feed him once a day now; soaked flakes from TetraFin. Occassionaly, very occassional i give him some peas or brine shrimp.

i hope this helps.

Guest IluvMyBuddy

and i use a Fresh Lab by Red Sea to test my waters. i just started using it yest. and i don't know what th required water perams are nor does the box tell me. And the test has not expired. it expires 2006

Guest IluvMyBuddy

i just noticed one of his eyes are starting to stick out like it's getting popeye. he's a lot less active today. he's just sorta sitting at the top of the tank.....i dunno wha to do...!!!

Ok, so you changed filters right? I take it you just took the old filter off and added the new one right? If that is what you did, you basically destroyed your bio-filter and the rise in nitrItes is due to the bio-filter trying to re-establish itself in your new filter. This is why you are seeing these symptoms.

For a good idea of the nitrification cycle of the tank is and how it pertains to your situation, read this: cycling tanks

It think you will see that the best way to control the nitrItes is to perform daily waterchanges and testing. You'll need to keep this up until your tanks filter has completely cycled. Wich, should be within a week or two.

VERY IMPORTANT

Since you seem to be seeing his eyes protrude (bacterial infection), you will need to treat him immediately with maracyn 1 and 2 in a separate container that is at least 5 gallons. Change 100% of the water every day and add back fresh medications (as per instructions on the packaging). Make sure the water is temperature matched and dechlorinated. Try to keep the container in a warm place but not in direct sunlight. Added aeration will be a plus. Stick to this daily regemine until the recommended duration on the packaging is reached (unless there is no improvement within 3 days).

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but you wont ned to keep so close a watch on the tank when he is not in there. When he is ready to come out of treatment, perform a few waterchanges and test to see if the water is good for him.

Post back soon. :unsure:

Guest IluvMyBuddy

what do i do if i have no added airation? is it okay to leave buddy in a bucket of water and the maracyn? I dont have another airation or tank of filter for him. i could put him into a bucket i have, but i don't think it's a 5 gal. the bucket is about 11 US Quarts. will that be okay? and what do i feed him in the meantime?

You can purchase a virgin 5 gallon bucket at any local hardware store. In fact, for a few dollars more, you should be able to find a ten gallon tank. I find that pet supermarket carries ten gallons for $8.99! Anyway, at least 5 gallons is the minimum. It makes for easy dosing and less ammonia buildup. ;)

Aeration isn't 100% necessary, just helpful. Just try not to let the temp get any higher than 80-82.

Feeding is an important question. You should feed sparingly, but high protein. Shrimp pellets are great! Remove any uneatren food from the bucket after 3-5 minutes. Remove any poo you see whan you look in.

Make sure he encounters a normal day and night lighting regemine.

If you can, try ordering some medi-gold from here: Goldfish Connection This stuff is highly touted for its help with many a bacterial infection on goldfish. It's a good staple to use during quarentine/hospitalization of goldfish. One small container will last you for a year if you keep it fresh. Also, it goes well with the maracyns.

Guest IluvMyBuddy

so the bucket is okay?

i'm currently prepareing to set up the hospital...bucket. ^^

this is what i'm going to do, please stop me if i'm doing something wrong.

I am about to ciphen the tank buddy is curently in, then after that add the removed water with fresh water. Then i am going to take Buddy out and put him in the 11qrt. bucket and put in a maracyn. I've fed him some brine shrimp today. i hope that was a good decision. i cannot purchase a 10 gal tank or a 5 gal. at that at htis moment. i probably can get some maracyn 2 and pellets, but i'm really broke right now. i'm a college stdent so i'm sure you an understand.

after i put the water in te tank i'malso goind to test the water and i'll post the perams.

does this sound okay so far?

Guest IluvMyBuddy

btw toothless, i've seen you around in other posts and you seemed very knowledgable. i'm really glad you're helping me with this! i'll also will be in front of the computer for the rest pf the night so don't worry about me taking too much time t reply.

Edited by IluvMyBuddy

You dont need to perform a waterchange in the tank he is in. Just pull him out and add him to the bucket of water. Make sure that the bucket of water is the same tamp and pH as the tank.

Other than that, all sounds ok but you should really try to procure a bucket for this treatment. Otherwise, ammonia can and will form between waterchanges. Aeration is better in a larger bucket too. Until then, your bucket will be fine. Just test daily or twice daily til you can get the larger bucket.

Sounds good. Good luck! I'll check in tomorrow. :D

Guest IluvMyBuddy

i don't think i'll be able to get a bigger bucket for now, but do you think i can complete the treatment with thisbucket instead? i'll be sure and do 100% water changes every day and drop in a medication after every water change..

Guest IluvMyBuddy

and is the brine shrimp okay?

Guest IluvMyBuddy

sorry! one last thing, i also had put a maracyn in the tank..i know i shouldn't have but should i put another one in the quartine bucket? or should i wait 'till tomorrow to medicate him again?

Guest IluvMyBuddy

and when can i put him back into the tank?

Guest IluvMyBuddy

sorry with all these questions, but i checked on buddy this morning, and he doesn't seem to be doing very well... :< can i put him back into the tank and treat him in there? would that ruin the cycle? last night when i went to bed the water was clean and he was very active. this morning he pooped and it looked like diarreah..it was the color of the last thing i fed him which was brine srhimp...i cleaned out most of what i could, and now buddy just sits there...I was wondering if i could just medicate him in the thank where he's most comfortable...

Well, you can try treating him in the tank but you'll HAVE to test every morning and night to see if the water is good. I don't particularly like the idea of trying to treat a fish in water that has ANY ammmonia or ANY nitrItes at all. It just makes life more miserable for them and you. This is why I suggest a 5 gallon bucket. If you do attempt this, there can be absolutely no ammonia or nitrItes.

If you keep going with a bucket:

You have to syphon out any poo or uneaten food as you see it form in between waterchanges. This can easily be done with a peice of airline tubing. Don't feed as much, cut down by half (at least). Any food is fine but cut down for now.

You can return him to the tank once you feel he has fully recoverd or is expected to fully recover.

I know that you don't have much money but you need to pay special attention to the two most important factors here, water quality and stability. I really think you shold try to get a 5 gallon receptacle. Goodwill, fleamarket, anything..... Just try to get a 5 gallon receptacle. It doesn't have to be new, just clean not a chemical container. Besides, in any smaller a bucket, how will you dose him correctly if the tablets are made for ten gallons? :huh:

Post back soon.

Guest IluvMyBuddy

hi. i just got back from mmm and purchased some malifix and medicated food. i got the stuff form jungle and i was wondering if that was okay.

I am about to test the tank water and if it if coditions are ideal i will put Buddy back into the tank and treat him there. I live in a dorm room so it's pretty tight in space here. i'm doing the best i can to care for Buddy.

Yopu cetainly are doing the best you can with what you have. Don't worry. Things aren't as bad as it may seem. With your watchful eye on the parameters and changing water when needed, I think you will be able to pull your little guy through just fine.

Yes, the Jungle medi-food just might help. Any chance they have ingredients listed on the packaging? :huh:

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted! :D

Guest IluvMyBuddy

yup. the ingrediants to the jungle medicated pellets are:

soybean meal, sorghum distillers dried grain, sorghum distillers dried grain with solubles, ground grain sorghum, fish meal, fish oil, dicalcium phosphate, dl-methionine, ascorbic acid, ethoxyquin (a preservatve), calcium carbonate, viamin E supplement, thiamine thyamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, d-calcium pantothenate, niacine supplement, folic acid, riboflavin suppplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, bitin, choline chloride, viatime D3 supplemtn, manganes sulfate, dihydriodide, ferrous sulfate, sodium selenite, vitamin A supplement, mineral oil, and vit. B-12 supplement.

Guest IluvMyBuddy

also, i noticed some red vein like thingys on his tail. i read that it's some hemorrhagic septicema at goldfishinfo.com

have you heard of suh a thing? and if so, do you know what causes it?

Buddy seems to be much happier in his tank and his eyes seem to be going back in. it might just be me and my fishful thinking, but all i know is he seems to be doing better. :)

Well thats certianly a good bit of news! :D

As long as he continues to eat and his fins aren't clamped, I think hes going to be just fine....... :lol:

Now, about that ingredients list, Jungle labs is an awesome company but I don't think I could find a SINGLE medication listed in there. Well, none that you can't go buy at a healthfood store anyway. I wonder where they get off saying that its medicated? What, herbal medication? Either way, I'm sure it can't hurt. ;)