Sign in to follow this  
Guest JKurz2008

New Goldfish With Old Goldfish Is Problem?

Guest JKurz2008

Hi All,

I've had Pico for about 3 months now and he's been doing great. I just put him in a new 15 gallon tank with a nice filter and aeration system and I've never seen him happier. But I thought it'd be nice to give him a friend, so I got another goldfish and put her in the tank today.

Unfortuanatly, Pico has been picking on Natalya a lot, chasing her around the tank and pecking at her. Is this going to continue? What can I do to stop it? Is Pico just never going to accept another fish in the tank? I'm trying to feed them a little bit more than twice as much so he doesn't feel a lot of competition.

Help?!

Guest Lizzy

You have a him and a her together, and the him is chasing the her?

Remember playground where boys were chasing girls?

Could be love :)

Or its territorial behaviour.

Guest Dipstick

I wouldn't feed them too much. I recently got my fish and they chased each other for a day or 2 but now they have calmed down. Hope someone has some better advice than me.

Guest JKurz2008

Okay look, I have no idea about their actual genders. I just call them that.

I dunno though. My friend seems to think that Pico could kill her.

If Natalya looks like she is really in danger, maybe you could put a divider in the tank to separate them, and give them some breathing room. Or something I've heard that sometimes works is redecorating the tank so everyone has to find new turf. How big are Pico and Natalya? If they are larger, the 15 gallons may be too small for them, and Pico is acting aggressively because the tank isn't big enough for the both of them, and he feels the need to protect his territory. You may have to return Natalya to the store if worse comes to worse. Better yet, save up some money and get them a larger tank: A larger tank is probably adviseable anyway (if you decide to keep Natalya) considering the amount of waste goldfish create-- a good rule of thumb for the fancy varieties is 10 gallons per fish. With two fish in a 15, you are looking at more frequent water changes. The stress from the extra ammonia (from uneaten food and the other goldfish) may also be affecting Pico, making him more aggressive.

Guest JKurz2008

Honestly I think the whole 10 gallons per fish thing is a bit unreasonable for someone who does this as a side hobby, as I do...

Anyway, they're actually kind of smaller Fancies. Natalya is fresh from the store and although I'd say Pico is almost twice as big, he's not one of those huge old looking Fancies that I've seen. He's probably 2 inches.

He won't leave her alone, it's been about 4 hours now. I'm starting to think that they're going to have to be seperated. He's gonna kill her by fatiguing her to death.

20 gals do not cost that much money. I kept my 2 orandas in a 10 gal for 5 years they survived, but once they had a bigger tank I could tell they were alot happier and more active. I kept goldies, just as a hobby, as alot of peeps do here, but that is no reason not to give them the best possible care. If you really can't afford a bigger tank take the fish back. You also should have quarentined you new fishy first, you never know what they may be carrying even if they look perfectly healthy.

Another reason for aggresive behavior is abnormal water quality; bad water or bad pH could trigger agression. People have lost fish due to this, and after water levels were corrected to their normal level, the fish were fine. Has your tank been cycled? If you just moved Pico, the tank's cycle might not be complete. Has your tank gone through this:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

This could be a reason; is it possible for you to get a tank divider, like GEF said, and rearrange their tank decor so that if it is territorial, Pico will feel he no longer has a territory to protect. If you have test strips, post your results, as that can help us identify why Pico is accting the way he is.

Have you noticed little white pimples on his gill covers? That could signify he is a male and that you do have a boy and possibly a girl.

Edited by Roano

chasing could be one of sevreal things

Love.....

water quality aggression, my Shub Jack actully killed a number of fish till I found out that my area has the softest water in the world, and now that I boost it up, he still a pig, but a happy, unaggressive pig....

terratorry, try rearranging some of the plants and such, this might solve your problems...