How Do U Breed Shubunkins ?

Tanya_woz_ere

:huh:

Hello im tanya im a 13 year old school girl!

I want to breed my two shubunkins. Roughly their tank is about 15inches and is cold water without a pump or heater. ive heard about the breeding traps r they anygood?. But how do you no if theyre males or females? what age would you recomend to breed them at? and what time of year is best? i have noticed that one of them chases the other round alot two! is this a sign of them wanting 2 mate?

Please reply as i really want to no

Thank-you Tanya

Hi Tanya,

Welcome to Koko's. Pull up a seat, and hang around a while. I thought I'd be the first to say hi, but unfortunately I'm not sure about breeding. I've even asked a question myself tonight about it!

But these guys and girls are the best, when it comes to all types of goldies, and by replying to your post, I've just bumped it back up to the top!

hia and welcome to the board. im a 14 year old school girl myself and thankfully i have had the joy of breeding shbunkins. sounds like you do have a male and female. they should be 3 years+ to breed. in order to lay their eggs they will need bushy plants. then check the next time they chase eachother, when they have finished if the plants have little yellow eggs stuck on the plants. if you do you will have to put them in a separate tank as the parents will eat them otherwise.

it is a22 of a lot of work looking after them so only do it if you have a lot of time on your hands. mine are 20 weeks old now and some are only half an inch.

hopefully this will get you started for now. if you want any other info just tell me and i will be happy to help. :) good luck!

Hiya thanks for helping me.

What sort of plants do they have to be? i have 1 green plastic pant. r they ok?

What do u feed ur shubunkins? i feed mine the flake food suplied in the pet shops. but as ive been lookin on this site and ive noticed u can feed the peas, rice and lettuce! is this true? if so id love 2 try it out and see how they get on with it. do u feed them peas rice and lettuce ( well obviously only one of those) ( which one do you get along with the best )everyday or just the odd day whenever nessery?

How many baby fish do you have?

and how big is your tank?

please try and reply. thank-you Tanya x

no probs. really they have to be real plants so i would do away with the old plastic thing. i feed mine some pellets by tetrapond and they really seem to like those but flakes should be fin, i just find they make more of a mess and dirty the water quicker than the pellets. mine arent that interested in rice but they love peas. i feed them to them when they are constipated or whenever i feel like giving them a treat but you have split the pea and get rid of the skin. ive never actually tried lettuice to be honest so i wouldnt know how much they like it but judging on what other people have said they seem to enjoy it! i have 6 babies in a 10 gal tank. the biggest ones are only 1/2 an inch at the mo and they are nearly 5 months old so it takes a while!

good luck again, feel free to ask me any more qs.

:)

anything bushy and not plastic. i find my fish prefur the ones that float so they lay their eggs in the roots and its a its easier than sticking your hand in the water to try and get the plants out. other than that it doesnt really matter which ones you get.

ow rite ;)

so you can get plants that float so it wudnt matter about cleaning them out because there roots arnt in the stones anyway. so when i clean my fish out i would just have to take the floating plant out and put it back in when ive finished cleaning the tank out? :S :S :S

How many older fish do you have?

Does your tank have a filter and heater?

yeah, its a lot easier with floating plants. i have 6 older fish in a pond. 2 male shubs, common and japanese (ones a daddy the other one is new) 1 girl golden orfe, 1 male yellow goldfish and 2 normal goldfish, i male and 1 female. on second thoughts my female goldie could be a cross cos she is kinda orange and white. hey, im rambling! whats new?

for the babies i have an air defuser to oxygenate the water and thats it. no stones cos they might get stuck.

Archived