How Do You Cool Off A Starfish!?

jsrtist

I came home from work the other day to find all my tanks very overheated. My saltwater tank had jumped up to 90? in one day! In a panic I added my frozen ice bottles to cool everyone down. A few minutes later I checked on the tank, only to find my starfish had crawled onto the ice bottle to cool himself off! It was so cute, but I felt so bad for him! I just love my little starfish?he is one of the main reasons I set up my tank. Here he is, cooling down after a long day:

hotstarfish6kl.th.jpg

Here he is normally, hanging out on the rocks. He is a chocolate chip sea star.

starfish13rg.th.jpg

My tank is largely an invertebrate tank (hermit crabs and Mr. Starfish) but I also have two fish. Here is a pic of my firefish:

firefish6qz.th.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

LOL I think he just likes exploring new things. I had a thawed out bottle in there the other day and he was playing on that one, too.

The rock in my tank is live rock, which is the biofilter for a saltwater tank. It is collected from Fiji and contains live bacteria and tiny crustaceans and worms. Basically it will cycle your tank almost instantly. I never had any ammonia or nitrite in my tank. Also, there are "dead" or anaerobic areas in the rock which absorb nitrates. In saltwater you usually dont want any nitrates in your tank as they can be harmful to things like corals and anemones.

Other than that saltwater is not that much different from freshwater. Its a lot of fun. :)

Its a 32 gallon show tank. Technically its a bit small for saltwater but I keep up on tank maintenance and check it every day. And plus Im only keeping tiny creatures in it.

I have some pics but no recent ones of my tank. Give me a bit and I'll try to get some nice pics of the whole thing. :)

• 2 months later...

Archived