A Great Container For Transporting Fish.

Ruffledmumkin

Since i am moving soon, I have been trying to figure out the best way to transport my fish. I came up with an idea, and it works great. Its very simple.

You take a new or old cooler. Drill a hole on one end, in the top that is large enough to put an air tube through. On the other side of the top, you drill 4-5 very small holes, for air exchange. Now just slide the air tube through the hole, put an air stone on it, and hook it up to your battery operated pump.

The cooler works better than the tupperware, because it seals, and the water won't leak out. It also helps to keep your water at an even temp. The cooler will stay darker and quieter than a tupperware, so your fish will be less stressed. It is also a good idea to add some bag buddies to the water.

I hope this helps others like me, who have to move their fish, and are not sure how. Let me know if this works for others also.

Ok now I'm off to go pick up some koi in my new container. :yeah:

This post has been promoted to an article

Thanks guys! :D

The koi I picked up yesterday did great. There were no spills in my car. This is the best I have seen any of my fish do on a trip. This was the first time I had tried it out.

I got a fairly cheap airator at Bass Pro. It was about $14. They have some at nnnnnn for a few dollars more. Mine runs for 30 hours on 1 D battery.

I will try and take some pictures so ya'll can get a better idea of what I am talking about. :D

Those bag buddies sound great! Actually all the products on that site are cool. especially the breathable bags. If I ever open up a fish store, I will definatly buy their stuff :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. All my fish made the very long trip from VA to AL in the fish cooler. They were in it a total of 3 days. I put them all in my new pond, and they are doing great! They love their new home, and all the space. Everyone I told that I was taking my fish on this long trip, looked at me like I was crazy. They also told me not to be suprised if most of them don't make it. I guess I proved them wrong! :D

Thanks Froggy!

We had to make the move, because my husband is in the military. They were restationing him here. It was a really hard move! The first week here we have had a tropical storm, and a hurricane! I've been cleaning up the yard so much, that I am way behind on my unpacking! :krazy:

Archived