Help!

Kissy

I would move Macy to the tank or Rubbermaid and give her the filter. In the filter you need to remove any freshly activated carbon which will otherwise absorb the medication.

If it is hole-in-head, there should be large pores like Sandy said. It might not be, like I said before, I think the same thing happened to my fish and it went away without meds. I know that sometimes, when you think your fish has a disease, it seems that every abnormal behavior seems to match the disease symptoms. If she's not skinny, more active, and still eating, I would guess the stringies could just be a slight fungus that is acting up because of Macy's stress or the bucket conditions.

When I cleaned my tank, I used a 10% bleach solution and let it evaporate for five days... but with a large Rubbermaid you need a proper filtration, so I would move Macy to the tank and put the tetras in the bucket, since I beleive the rule of thumb for tropicals is 1 gal per inch of fish, and Macy needs about 10 gals.

You said she seemed less lathargic, did her new energy seem to be a result of something you did for her? Might try many small, gradual changes like I said before and see if that helps at all.

Stressful isn't it? When my fish Roano got dropsy, I spent months of helpless frustration, since I spent all my money and nothing worked. You doing everything you can for her, though. Sometimes it gets worse before it gets better, so we can hope this might just be the peak of her problems and she will get better soon.

Post back soon, and take care!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, well I belive that the tap water is abour 8.2-8.6 ish. I'll pst back with the real numbers in a bit. But first I had another scare last night. If goldfish can have seizures, than that is definatly what Macy went thru. I was taking some of her own water and pouring it gently back in to put some O2 in the bucket when this happened. She floated very quickly to the top (she can't even swim that fast) and floated on her side. Then she started shaking and quivering...her gills were either not moving at all or very shallow and quick breathes, I coudn't tell. When she stopped she floated back down to the bottom and laid on her side for a bit. Then she was fine. What happened to her? I think something similar went on when I thought she was dead and then came back to life.

Yes, she seems a bit more active, and eats like she is starving to death but not skinny at all. Do lionheads get noticably skinny with their round little bodies? But she poops SO much. I'm not sure how much its supposed to be, but she poops at least twice as much as what she eats. Some are short and sweet but others are long and drawn out (lol) And some are half clear too. I found a long normal colored one that had a bit of clear at the end that was over two inches long...Macy's body is only one inch! My poor baby :( I tested her water for ammonia after 24 hours yesterday and it was at .25 I believe, so I will stick with daily water changes.

So put Macy in the ten gallon with filter and the tetras in the three gallon bucket? Will do :)

Do you think it's a parasite or fungus? Should I start using the parasite meds? I did find a tiny dot on her wen that looked like it could be a hole..that is the spot where most of the stringies come from.

I found some pictures on below site, which also mentions that lethargy and trouble swimming may be symptoms. What are your meds that you currently own?

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#HITH

I would change 40% or so a day in intervals; maybe adding some new water in the morning and then afternoon. I suppose I would do the same for the tropicals, though you could just add all the water at once.

That does sound like a seizure; not sure what you can do though. How many test strips do you have in possesion?

I hope Macy's situation improves; I have to leave for the weekend and won't be able to reply for two days... someone else will probably come and help you soon and give you more advice. In the meantime I would continue changing and testing water and trying to find pictures of the disease online to confirm Macy has it. Since you're a full member, try to put pictures in the Gallery; there is directions to do this listed in The Daily Scale, I think. You can also sign up on photobucket.com and create a link between your ablum and your post.

Best of luck!

As an after thought:

If you feel confident that she has it, I would order the Metro-Med. I read that the disease could be caused by poor water conditions, but she could have had it before you got her. How much money do you have? When I ordered the med. food, it came in about five days... Here is the info on shipping and how to order:

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/other/shipping.php

If you are interested in thier 'Guarantee', that info can be found in a link aat the very bottom of the page. (Just letting you know because I had a heck of alot of trouble finding it when ordering!)

Roano don't leave me ._. I really hope some one else can help me with Macy. I tested the tap pH and it is around 7.9 That is totally strange..its ben all over the place. I just bought the aquarium pharmaceuticals master testing kit, so I've got over 700 tests.. I should be good in that department for once! I do not have a job..And I spent all my immediate money at vvvv last week. I have like five dollars with me. I have over 100 in change tho..my dad just never takes me to the bank. He down right refuses! I knew I should have gotten my liscense last year. Anyways, so I've got that, and an upcoming allowance of a monthly 20 bucks.

I switched the tetras with Macy last night at about 1am. Poor tetras. Poor Macy too. I just noticed how pale she is now. She's a pale yellowish orange that fades to a white tummy. She used to be a brilliant orange with distinct white. I see the little indentations on her wen. They are about the size a pin prick and are white and red. I dabbed a little hygrogen peroxide on her wen before I moved her and I haven't seen any stringies. I watched her for a four hour and a half last night before I went to bed. No seizures either. She is definatly not lethargic, she won't even sit still in the tank lol. I tried feeding her tho last night and thismorning and that was difficult. She still doesn't understand that her new food sinks and never finds it. I still have floating pellets too, and I tried them. She would lunge at them, miss, and then forget about it. I hope she's not losing her appetite :(

I don't have a digital camera, but on this rare occasion, I have a disposable camera with about 15 pictures left. I probably won't get any good ones, especially since those holes are so hard to see, but it will be worth the shot I guess.

put her back in the tank and do you have a heater? if so what temperature is it?.

put the water at the ph shes been at and gradually over the next few days take a cupfull out and replace with dechlorinated tap water and this will slowly acclimatise her back to the higher ph.

you may be feeding her too much so dont feed for two days and see how she does after that.

i think having really good water is better than adding meds, as its still unclear if anything is really wrong.

are you sure its not new wen growth coming in?

shame you cant get pics though. adding some aquarium salt slowly to .2% may help kill off any parasites.

the neons will be better in another container.

Not gone just yet, though I have to leave later. Have you tried fresh veggies? That might make her more eager to eat. The sinking pellets would probably be better for her and help with her swimming. She probably goes to the bottom and cleans up when your not around, so she's probably still eating some. If you feed her veggies, make sure to clean up the ones she doesn't eat after an hour so it won't mess up her water.

I would definatly recommend the med. food at this point... Can you get your payment early and then not get it for that month or pay back your parents? I think you have to use a credit card or some other method of payment; is it possible to do this with your parents and then pay them back?

Wen growth is usually white in between the cracks of the wen, but if it's distinctly red, it's probably something different.

I went through the ceck out at GoldfishConnection; you do have to give your credit card number. The site said it's having bugs in it's system, so I would call Rick at the number provided and you can order from there. Can you call your parents and see what they think about you doing this and then paying them the change or giving up part of your next allowance?

You could be right about the fungus and two seperatae infections, so if you can't order, don't worry and just give her the best care possible by salting like Sandy said, and continueing the peroxide on the wen and try to keep the water conditions as best as possible.

I don't have a heater on my tank. She's been at a .3 salt treatment for several days. Is this too much? I dosed the ten gallon this way and it is very cloudy. Does this much salt cause cloudiness? I'm out of salt now, will kosher work?

I tried to call Rick earlier this morning and it said that the number was either no longer in service or has a different area code.

Should I do something with the gravel? I was looking around, and I heard that you should remove it for a hospital tank. What would I do with it? Is this only what you need to do with adding meds to the water?

if you are using water straight from the tap then it may be too cold for your fish.

lionheads arent as hardy as some and may need a bit more warmth.

maybe pm someone like podgygoldy as i think he has more knowledge on the type of fish you have or at least he can point you in the direction of some one who has them. jacky ckw has this type of fish and awrieger too.

Yes, other meds with Metronidazole will work, since that is what cures hole-in-head disease.

I never removed my gravel from my hospital tank, but I have heard the same thing somewhere. However, I think removing the gravel would be stressful for Macy, unless she is used to your hands, and someone says this is nessacary, otherwise I would leave it.

Good luck, hope to hear she's better when I come back!

I called about 50 vet's offices, and found one that could help. But its fifty dollars just to see the vet x_X and they are about an hour away. There is no way my parents would ever do that for me...I don't think that thats even worth it, I'm probably getting better advice here online for free! Btw, I called my parents about using their credit card for buy the metro-med. <_< Them: "12 dollars for fish medicine plus shipping? MY credit card? ONLINE? YAH RIGHT! You still have the recipt for the fish right? It hasn't been two weeks yet so you could bring her back to vvvv!" o.O

I did a search on the computer and found the card numbers tho. I always thought they were a little smarter than that. Well, I'm going to go shower since I've been busy all morning with the fish and then go beg my grandmother to take me to vvvv to buy some alternate medicine for HITH disease. Any good brands that you know of?

If I can't find anything, I may go ahead and order online :devilangel

I went to vvvv today. A different one...the people there are so much more friendly and knowlegable. I talked to the manager about my fish and he said it was indeed what I thought. Hole-in-the-head + fungal infection. Luckilly, I think the fungus is going away/gone. Macy is still active and such. Eats a little, but I think she is just getting used to the tank, gravel and current. I tried feeding her pieces of strawberry and lettuce this morning but no luck. She ate a floating pellet tho :) Anyways, the manager said that they had no meds with Metronidazole in stock and they don't sell it :( He suggested Melafix antibacterial remedy (treats fin and tail rot, red open sores, open body wounds, eye cloud, pop eye, body slime, and mouth fungus) along with food supplements (he agreed that it was caused by boring diet syndrome or not enough nutrients) Another worker picked out Top Fin Freeze dried Bloodworms. Will this food help? I read on the back it said "Freeze-dried bloodworms are processed to minimize contaminants that may be present in live bloodworms." Is this dangerous to feed my fish, especially since her immunity is low right now? Also it says its for tropical fish...is it okay for goldies? Will the melafix help any? I've also got an unopened bottle of meds for parasites...don't think that will work either.

I also went to the library and brought home "The Handbook of Fish Diseases" by Dieter Untergrasser. Not really a hand book..maybe an arm book lol. Anyways, it has a lot of great info with pics and his name sounds familiar to me :) I looked up heximia and it said it was most likely food related and I should feed a wider variety w/vitamins. There isn't a way for me to get ahold of vitamins lol. But I may try the blood worms.

Hi!!

I just checked GoldfishConnection.com and it looks like MetroMed is the medicated food that might be more useful for HITH. I have a ton left from when I treated my tank, and goodness knows it helped Paddles :exactly .. I doubt (hopefully! heehee) that I'll be using any more before the shelf life runs out. I opened mine about a month ago, maybe a month & a half, and I've been keeping it in a cool (65-70*) dark place, so I can send the rest to you - I think it's good for about 6 months after opening, according to the website.

If ya want, PM me with your info and I'll ship it on over - too bad it's a holiday weekend <_< it won't be on the road till Tuesday, but you're only one state over so it should get there Weds. or Thurs.?

Lemme know :)

I'll keep my fingers & toes crossed for your little one!!

Sydney that would be absolutely wonderful if you could send me your extras. I'm so happy I'm crying right now lol. Thank you so much! I pm'd you with info and address :)

Managed to get a hold of a computer and read through the new posts. So glad to hear Macy has no more strigies and that Sydney is able to send you med food! Yes, I think bloodworms would help with buildng up her protein; my fish love them, and sick this would get her enthuaed about eating; I know, no one should ever say that refering to goldfish! Good luck, seems like your getting a lot of help!

Post back soon

I haven't seen any stringies sine I've moved her into her tank. I think its safe to say they are gone....I've been watching her most of the day lol. I haven't given her a salt bath..I'm kind of afraid to because I heard that you need to be really careful if your fish is young or weak. But her tank is salted at .25 right now (should be .3 but I ran out of salt heh. I got more tho! When i do her water change i'll take her out and dissolve more salt in there) Also I haven't seen any seizures lately. I'm hoping that they are part of her sickness, and if I can get her all better those will go away. My fingers and toes are also crossed for Macy..I really hope she makes it til the metromed arrives an can eat it and get better. My poor girl.

Archived