Help!

Kissy

I am keeping a new baby lionhead under quarentine and I noticed this one thing...The other night she had this whitish stringy thing almost a half inch long attatched to the top of her wen. I was able to pull it off easilly and it just looked like constipated goldfish poop. (she is getting over constipation..and I've been feeding her white rice with some pellets and peas so that would explain the color.) I just shrugged it off but I found another in the same spot today. I checked later and it was gone. (shorter tho) She is in a three gallon bucket because that is all I've got to keep her in...I do 100% water changes once a day and make sure the pH and stuff is all the same. I take care not to feed her too much to keep the ammonia levels at a safe level. I still think its just constipated poop that may have gotten stuck, but I'm worried because it was in the same place the second time and it HAPPENED a second time. I think that I am just a paranoid fishie mom, but could this be something else?

She's been under quarentine for five days and is under the salt treatment just in case.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you say, "under salt treatment", does that mean she is in a .3% salt solution in her bucket? THat is fine.

A bucket is certainly not the best place, but, since you are keeping a careful eye one it, it is certainly better than no quarantine.

This sounds like it might be a bit of fungus growth. There are a few other possibilities, but one of the easiest treatments for a spot such as this, if it IS fungus, is to lift her out of the water and touch the spot with a drop of hydrogen peroxide. Do not let it drip down into her gills or eyes, but just drop a spot on the whitish area - or rub it with a cotton swab dipped in hydrogen peroxide. You can repeat this in the evening and again the next day. If it is fungus it will go away very quickly.

IF it does not respond to the hydrogen peroxide within a day or two, and IF she is a strong healthy fishy, you could do a salt dip for her. After her dip, put her in her 100% new bucket of water, leaving anything that was in the water and anything you stripped from her behind in the other water and the dip. It works well, and is substantially easier to deal with than water treatments - particularly if you are working in an unfiltered bucket.

Let us know how she is getting on. :)

I haven't seen anything today but I had a huge scare...I'm posting in the emergency forum. If it isn't a fungus, will the hygrogen peroxide hurt her?

Okay I had a huge scare about a half hour ago..

My new baby lionhead, Macy, is under quarentine in a three gallon bucket. I don't have an extra tank for the quarentine so this is what I use. I do 100% water changes every day with water conditioner and I use pH down to make sure the level is exactly the same. I measure everything perfectly. I have two of these buckets and I switch off so all I have to do is plop her into the new one with out all the stress. She is also under the salt treatment.

So today I put the new bucket of water next to her old one (which she was in) and she floated up very quickly from her plant. I placed my hand around her and she did not move..only floated on her side. I was horrified and laid back on my bed for about 7 minutes. I went to go look again and she was swimming!!!! I changed her water and did a couple tests..more to come.

pH- 7.5 (I keep it axactly here with each water change)

ammonia- .4

I don't know the okay range for ammonia (except that it should be at .0) so I suspect this is the problem.

She seems a little better now in her new water. She ate a pellet of food (with the usual gusto) but she is acting a little weird. She would rapidly swim to about an inch from the top, stop, and then float again. Then she would repeat. Now she is under her plant like she has been for the most of the last couple days.

2 days ago, I found a stringy thing attached to her wen (about a half inch long) I easilly picked it off and it just looked like constipated poop. She is/was a little constipated since I brought her home last wednesday. I've been feeding her white rice to help, along with pellets and an occasional pea. It is the color of the rest of her poop and looked exactly alike, so I shrugged it off. The next day I found another (but much smaller) attached in the same place. It fell off on its own tho. I have a post about this on Goldfish Discussion. I havne't seen anything like that today.

Please help Macy :crp

Macy I am sorry to hear about your new little fish. I haven't read your thread in the other forum, it is always best though to keep all the info in one place. I will look it up and I may merge them.

Now you said you change 100% of the water everyday, yet her ammonia is 0.4......have you checked the tap water to make sure it is 0? You should do this.

How long has the ammonia been high?

As for the "stringy thing" I am not sure. What color was it? White or brown? Did it look like fuzz or a worm?

I think that I covered most of the info with the stringy thing that was its own topic, but it would be great if you could merge them for me...I don't know how. The stringy thing is mostly white in color with maybe a tint of brown (the colors of te rice and pellets I fed her). It wasn't fuzzy and didn't look really look like a worm. I'm testing everything right now, so I will test the tap water also and post everything soon:)

Done testing..it took so long because I spilt highly corrosive chemicals and such on the wooden computer desk X_x Anyway, here they are:

Ammonia: .4 (after about ten minutes it started looking more like .25! Is this suppose to happen if you leave it out? I waited five minutes before looking at the results like the booklet said.)

Tap Ammonia: 0.0

pH: 7.5

Nitrite: 0.0

NitrAte: .3 ( think that my tap has some nitrates in it.. I tested it a while ago and it did)

Macy seems a little better.

Kissy, I think I know what you're talking about; my oranda had it, and for a bit I thought it was hole-in-head, but it wasn't and went away quickly. It came back, but then left and I didn't see it again; he had never had a problem with it and I never saw it on any of my other fish. I think it is just a slight fungus that he had contracted.

When she floats, does it look like swim bladder or like she can't control herself? The same fish with the fungus had swim bladder and would often float upside down for long periods of time and was very still that I often mistook him for dead.

Just wanted you to know that I have had similar experiances with my fish before, though I'm not sure whether your fish does have swim bladder or not. I hope she gets better.

Thanks Roano :)

The only time it really looked like she could have had swim bladder was when she floated to the top on her side and I thought she was dead. It was so weird...she wasn't even moving her gills..and when I cupped my hands around her she didn't even move. She's afraid of my hands! Maybe ten minutes later she was back at the bottom laying on her side. The whole thing only lasted about 15-20 minutes..it was very strange. Macy seems okay now and was swimming normally around her tank.

I hope not ._. I am going to start doing 100% water changes TWICE a day now..does anyone think this would be better? Nine hours after the last water change I looked very closely in the water and saw a ton of those little whitish clear strings floating around. She is definatly sick and I think it is some sort of fungus. Last night and just now I rubbed a bit of hygrogen peroxide on the spot with a q tip. I will probly be going to vvvv today or tomorrow...should I buy some sort of medicine? What kind is best?

What you did with the hydrogen peroxide is fine. Give it a few days. If you want Jungle Labs has a "fungus clear" that I hear is pretty good.

Oh and at this point the best thing is to keep the ammonia at 0.

I went to vvvv today and I told the guy about how my fish has these stringy things coming out of her wen. He said that it was probably some sort of parasite, so he picked out Mardel Coppersafe (treats ich, velvetr, and other parasites) I haven't opened it entirely so I may take it back if you guys think it won't help. I did open up a symptom pamphlet tho. I couldn't find much that matched except for a few symptoms of parasites (it says they should be on the body... there is usually only one or none in the same spot on Macy's wen.) and maybe the body fungus (which this medication does not cover... it says the strings or patches should cover the body and in patches) And then there was Chilodinella (no blueish white scales tho..but other symptoms are excess mucus and appearing oxygen starved. I was cleaning one of the buckets and there was a thin film of whitish clear mucusy stuff on the bottom? I cleaned it out. Then Macy is guling air from the surface in phases some times she does it like mad and the rest of the time she is lying under her plant. Of course I do remember she does not have any aeration except the two times a day water change)

I need advice on this! I don't want to be treating her for the wrong thing, especially since I don't have any money left. I spent the rest of it today at vvvv ._. I need a job. Anyways, I haven't seen any stringies on Macy's wen today. Please keep helping us.

More stringies...there are three or four on her wen. I think if I medicate, I may move my two tetras into the buckets and put the goldie into the ten gallon. This way I won't run out of medicine. I wish I had the money to buy the new tank for the tropicals right now but I don't. The poor little guys will be pretty spooked and will hate the daily water changes. What do you thing? I know its been only two days, but please help me!!!

Do you have aeration in the bucket? If possible, try and get a small air filter and if not I think taking out some water and then pouring some new stuff back in gently would help create slpashing, allowing more air to get mixed with the water. This may help with the lethargy and gasping, but I don't know about the fungus. Does she seem okay except for the stringies and gasping and lethargy? I only have experianced the same thing once and it went away after I did a partial change. She might be kind of stressed because of the two daily changes; I might try not taking out all of the water but doing what I suggested with small awter changes often for a day and see if she appears to not gasp as much. She might have hole-in-head disease; I'll find out more and reply back soon.

If you switched the tropicals, do you have to hook up a heater for them in the bucket? That could be probably a little cumbersome but might work though I don't know anything about tropicals... how many do you have? Could you put some fish into a sterilized Rubbermaid container or something?

Please post back.

All right, found some info on it:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/disease.html

It's the last one at the bottom of the page. It could be, just a suggestion. Someone should pop up soon with more advice.

Also, if you want to look into it, they have meds at the store for treating hole-in-head disease or hextimia. GoldfishConnection has a speacial medicated food that helps with hextimia called Metro-Med. Don't know how much money you have or anything, but here's the page:

https://goldfishconnection.com/shop/details...entId=5&catId=5

The food contains Metronidazole, which is also listed for cures in the disease section in the previous link. I'd check out the meds page too...

Like I said, I'm not sure if what you have is hextimia, but I would try typing 'hextimia' or 'hole-in-head' into your computer search bar to find more info.

Good luck!

Thanks for replying, I was starting get afraid that everyone forgot about my post or something. Here's the deal on the tropicals. I have two black neon tetras that were rescues. At the time, I didnt know the needs of a heater, numbers etc and kept them with my goldie in an unheated tank. My house is about 85 degrees if it helps any? I know this is bad..I am going to get a five or ten gallon tank just for tropicals very soon...as soon as I get the money. That way they will have proper heating, lighting, friends, and real plants :) But right now, its just the two of them in a ten gallon. I DO have two rubbermaids. I'm not sure how big..but the bigger of the two is somewhere between 15-25 gallons (I have no idea really...just guessing. I'm going to figure it out tho) So what do you think I should do with this rubbermaid? Keep the two tropicals in it? I think it would definately be better thana three gallon..more cumbersome, but it would probly be better for them. I think the goldie needs to be in a filtered tank so I don't have to keep adding more medicine every day. Also, how can I sterilize the rubbermaid?

I think this is it Roano! I'm so relieved and so scared at the same time. This disease sounds horrible....I don't see any holes, I do see a few creamy whitish strings trailing only on her head. After 24 hours the three gallons is filled with either tiny spots of the strings or peices of her slime coat. She seems a little less lethargic and still eats like a pig. Not skinny at all. She is starting to look a little milky I guess, I thought she was just loosing some color but that could be it. I have no money, and my parents are out of town til sunday. I believe I could scrounge up the money, but I don't have a way of buying anything until then, unless I call my parents and stuff. :cry1

I dont think its hexamita as the pores on the head of the fish (usually strikes big fish such as cichlids) would become larger and infected.

It seems there may be a parasite present and thats why her slime is coming off or the ph is wrong.

you say you change the ph, what is it out the tap? goldfish can take a wide range of ph and its usually not wise to mess with it. the neons need a ph below 7 preferably 6.5 so i think you need to seperate the two species. putting the goldie in the rubbermaid would be better than a bucket and putting the filter in with her.

post back when you have the ph from the tap. :)

Archived