Goldfish Fry

my goldfish have been showing breeding signs for ages but i didnt realise the had actually laid eggs till most of them were eaten i have about twenty which were stuck to a plant and some of them arent fertilized ive read up on keeping them but im still not sure on the feeding i was wondering if putting peas, egg yolk, bloodworms and a few flakes in a blender would do the fry ok could anyone suggest anything else? i wont be able to go to the lfs for at least a week and dont know if they will actually have anything for them. :D

Guest yabbie

They won't need feeding until a couple of days after they hatch, and then just tiny amounts of blended egg yolk with water should keep them going a few more days. So you have plenty of time to get organised.

they hatched yesterday which was tuesday 24th may now should i begin fedding them thursday or friday they hatched in the mornig! its amazing how fast they grow they have grown in size over night! also the un fertilzed eggs on the plant are going fuzzy and i dont know what to do as some of the fry are hanging onto it! will the fact that its a live plant affect the fry?

also how do you know if goldfish fry are free swimming? i mean is just swimming from the tank to plant or leaf to leaf on the plant count im worried that im not going to feed them at the right time and they die they are sooo tiny i dont think they would last very long if i got the days wrong! they dont seem to have much of a yolk sack left maybe they hatched earlier and i didnt notice! i didnt even notice they had hatched my friend who came to see what my goldish looked like spotted them because they moved off the plant when i accidently knocked the tub they are in! i have no filter in there at the moment just an oxygen pump what type of filter should i get? i was thinking sponge filter! any suggestions? :unsure:

Guest yabbie

Plants are good, especially the ones that have a bit of slimey growth on the leaves... the fry seem to like to nibble on that and plants give them somewhere to rest in the water and feel safe.

You won't need gravel, just some stones to hold the plants down and a really weak sponge filter something that won't suck them up. They can probably sit in still water for a week or two.

You only need to feed them tiny amounts of liquid egg yolk etc and they probably won't eat much which means your water will cloud up. You will have to rinse the moldy eggs off the plant at some stage.

Maybe, feed them a tiny amount on Thursday and rinse the plant after a feed on Friday or give them some plants from the parents' tank. You might find you have to syphon some food off the bottom with some air tubing by then to keep the water clear, so it's a good time to do the plants as well. They should all be long-hatched by then (you're not supposed to disturb them too much just after hatching).

If you look in the Pinned section just above this section there are tips on breeding goldfish and also a section about fry food. Koko also has articles about breeding goldfish at other places on this site. Also you can read down thru this section and see how other people have done it. There's some real success stories and absolute blunders... you can learn from both.

I like the photos on this site for knowing what to expect: Fry stages

ive washed the plant so now more fluffy eggs and the fry are now swimming aroung and eating! they grow really fast dont they :D ( the plant is out of the parents tank it was the only live one in there)

Guest yabbie

Mine didn't. I'm one of the blunderers.

But they're 13 weeks old now (only the size of everyone elses 8 week olds) but the rigorous fry raising routine I put them thru has resulted in some very strong looking fish of which most seem to be colouring into Shibunkins.

I'm happy because that's my favourite parent fish with great colours and long flowing fins and I've learnt so much about raising fry that I'll do much better next year when I attempt it again.

Guest yabbie

Yabbies Fry Bootcamp, for the toughest fry in town!

Actually, perhaps I'm not such a blunderer. Out of 90 hatchlings, I've got 14 fry. I think that is a similar ratio to Coyote's 2/25 and she's an expert.

out of about 20-25 hatchlings i have 11 maybe a few more left its hard to tell i brought them some baby brine shrimp but it was still to big so i put it in a blender along with bloodworms,peas and fish food doesnt look very nice but they eat it like crazy, but it makes the water cloudy. ive got them a sponge filter but it doent work very well! is it because i had to remove the uplift tube because no water was coming out because of how shallow it is? any ideas on when i can increase the water level and how to clean the bits which are floating in the water and stuck to floor? the air line tubing doent really pick it up properly! i also had to remove the live plant because it was dieing and turning the water a brown colour i think its died because of the amount of uneaten fod falling on it. its hard to judge how much to feed them but boy are they growing fast you can see thier the pupils in their eyes and if you look very closely you can see their little fins ahh my mom said im sad because i was sitting there watching all of my fish instead of the telly! she just hasnt been bitten by the goldfish bug yet! :exactly

i have nine fry left now and one of them has got some fungus growing on its belly any ideas on how to treat it? ive brought them some liqrifry as the other stuff was making the water too cloudy theyare growing fast and i can see they all have two tails but somethings been bugging me why are some darker than others some of them are really light coloured which makes them hard to see any ideas why?

Guest Lizzy

I'd seperate that one and see how he's doing...

Unsure how such a small one would respond to treatment with salt or something.

It could be that you have a few white ones in between? :)

You know the parents?

the only ones that i saw swimming through the plant and showing signs of breeding were my moor and fantail but i also have a male albino fantail/ryukin (who knows) and a male chocolate oranda (both my moors are girls) i think that i found the one with fungus dead this morning im not sure s/hes one of the stronger ones out of the lot so i dont think s/he would of died so soon would s/he s/he was the first one to be free swimming and the biggest thats how i can tell the differance between that one and the rest aww i hope its not him cause it sort of was my fav!

Guest Lizzy

Strangely enough, those big ones often dont survive...at least in my experience :(

Last time I did save the big one....at the expense of the small ones, cause he ate them *sigh*

Guest yabbie

I've had about a 50/50 survival rate using salt baths for the sick fry. White fungus was pretty common initially for me too. I only left them in there for two or three minutes since they were so tiny.

You should be able to fill the tank up higher now.

The plant probably died thru lack of light.

If you're having trouble controlling the water, it might be better to rig up a netted portion in your main tank.

Mine were mostly white fish anyway, but I noticed initially the really light ones were unhappy and most likely to die. Now that they're colouring up into speckled shibunkins it's the really dark ones that are unhealthy. They're clinging to that greeny fry colour and aren't keeping up with their big brothers who are growing flat out. But that's all just me guessing.

the one with fungus has died they all seem to be dying really quickly i only have five left now i think its because they are from fish wich are just under two inches so maybe they're weak due to thier parents size

Guest Esareh
:( im sorry about that. Im not sure but i dont think the size of the parents matters. But like i said. im not 100% sure.

Guest Lizzy

I dont believe so either.

Fry are just REALLY sensitive.

Keep your chin up, the older they get, the stronger they get!

The first few weeks are just really tough :(

Philly-Billy, if you can find some Methylene blue (nothing else besides that) around your area, that works great for fungus and is mild enough to not harm the fry. A lot of breeders put that in with the eggs the moment they are laid to prevent any fungus type problem.

I hope your others pull through - those guys are so delicate at that stage. Do you have any pics?

they do sell that by me ill have to get some i thought id lost all my fry but as i went empty the tank there was two left there must have been more than what i first thought hopefully they will become stronger theyre only two week old i have a pic but my cmera wont load ill work on it :D

Guest yabbie

If it makes you feel any better, you seem to be experiencing a fairly normal mortality rate. Small consolation, I know.

My pet shop is against methylene blue, says it stops the babies immune systems... but then pet shops are full of well-intended misinformation so who knows.

My pet shop is against methylene blue, says it stops the babies immune systems... but then pet shops are full of well-intended misinformation so who knows.

341475[/snapback]

yeah i agree with ya there my local fish shop wouldnt sell me any salt "salt is for marine tanks" they said! since there were only two fry i got a big soup spoon and placed the in a cup of their own water while i cleaned away the fungus i then filled it back up with treated water and slowly got them used to it before putting them back in that should keep the fungus away for a bit hopefully when will the next breeding season be? i think ill be more ready next time they decide to make me a mommy! :D i just hope these two pull through they're so cute and tiny

Guest Lizzy

They dont just spawn once per season.

They could keep on spawning!

Mine are already in their 4th or 5th try.

I have fry from 4 or 5 spawning rituals - they all differ in sizes.

Last year the survival rate was terrible!

This year I havent lost any yet *knocks on wood*

You might have more fry this month already and have many more left.

Be warned though - its addicting :D

Guest Lizzy

You have them somewhere heated or something?

Or filter or something?

I must admit - my fry arent that spoiled, hehe

I have them in around 10 gallons of water with plants, snails and daphnia.

I dont change the water because frankly, last year when I did, fry would die.

A friend of mine didnt and his survived.

I know it goes against everything said here but so far it seems to work out a whole lot better. They are growing more rapidly than last year and seem a whole lot tougher. They eat well and are shaping up nicely.

Guest yabbie

If you add lots of new plants and do a partial water change and buy them some live food they may start spawning again.

Mine get all excited and sexy about African cabbages... :blink: combine half a dozen of those and a water change and they're off!

How long have yours been without a waterchange, Lizzy?

Archived