Dot's Question......

daryl

I have 4 goldfish in a small garden pond. Three of them recently seem to be covered in black spots.It hasn't been particularly sunny and there's plenty of shade in the pond. They seem healthy and happy and are feeding well. Is this normal?

Dot

Guest Esareh

Ok im not 100% sure, but in my book it says something about china disease. I think thats 1 of the symptoms but I lost my book so im not sure. So dont get too worried. But if it is indeed china disease, then im truly sorry...Theres no treatment and the only way to get rid of it is to...well...humanly dispose of any fish that have it and imeadiatly remove any healthy fish into a hospital tank. Then clean and SCOUR u mean absoultly scour the tank, dispose of any live plants you have and throw away all the pebbles and rocks you may have in the tank. Then soak the fake plants and ornaments in HOT water and soap for a few hours. Make sure the water stays HOT. its like the black plauge of fish. But dong get too upset! Im not even sure thats what it is. I wish i could find that book...

:) Hi Dot,And Welcome to the forum. Dot,What size pond are they in? WHat type/size fish? How long has the pond been up and running?What type of filtration system do you have? Do you check/test water for Ammonia/Nitrites/NitrAtes,etc?Have you changed out any of the water recently? Normally,when fish start showing black spots,it's a sign that there was a poor water quality problem.The black spots start to appear when the fish start healing,and don't usually last very long. Sorry if it sounds like I'm giving you the third degree. :rolleyes: It's important to know as much as possible before we try to diagnose. ;)

Archived