Sign in to follow this  
The_Mohican

Trying To Figure Out My Gfs' Gender

Ok i have looked around on the net and different pics/drawings and stuff, but i am still not sure what gender my two gfs are? I took some pics and was wondering if someone could tell me what they think. Note the pics are kinda big so if you have a slow connection they may take a little bit to load.

Walter

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/the...ley/Walter2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/the...ley/Walter1.jpg

Farley

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/the...ley/Farley2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/the...ley/Farley1.jpg

If better pics are needed let me know and I will try to get some better ones. It's hard holding a goldy in one hand and trying to snap a pic with the other :rolleyes:

Guest Esareh

What I do is wait untill thier ready to breed, the males will have breeding stars (turbercles) on thier gill covers. Ill get a picture.

Guest Esareh

Heres a very elaborate picture of breeding stars:

breedingstars.jpg

Both of these fish are atleast 6 years old and have been together for that entire period. They have never shown any spawning activities so Iam assuming they are both the same gender. Also niether one has the turbercles, but I don't know if males just have those all the time or only when they are going to breed.

Guest Esareh

Just when thier ready and wanting to breed.

Guest calico4

It looks like they are both girls. Males have little things sticking out of their....butt...

It look kinda like this >, but upside down and on their...butt....

-calico (sorry about the butt thing, I know it is the wrong word) :D

If these fish were male I'm quite sure you would have seen breeding stars over the 6yr period. Stars are more numerous during the breeding season but even off season you can see remnants or the stars especially on the edge of their pectoral fins.

I don't think it is necessary for males to be in proximity to females to develope breeding stars, seasonal and temperature changes usually are the trigger.

I agree with fishmerised, my guys have breeding stars on their pectoral fins and haven't "went away" since I first saw them there. Sometimes they are a brighter white and really pop and sometimes a little more dull looking. I really think if yours were male, you would've seen this by now. :)

Guest Lizzy

True, the tubercules are very defined.

Sometimes they really seem to be sticking out!

I have a male sarassa and a male goldfish in my pond - waiting to make pictures of their tubercules as an example for people who wonder what they look like. They're so much more defined than on the existing pictures.

thanks alot, this info really helps alot, wish I had checked back soonere, lol. Hmmm so it looks like Walter and Farley are girls!! Oops, lol. Well I don't think I'll both with name changes, they have been Walter and Farley for 6 years, and I don't think they mind tooo much:)