Sign in to follow this  
Raynebowfish

Hooray! My Goldfish Are Spawning!

Thats good to hear, I was reading someone else's post, and they said their fry were mostly sitting on the bottom...however, theirs were about 2wks old...

Thanks

2 weeks?? Wow! I never knew they could stay at the bottom that long :blink: Maybe the water temp was cold.Mine spawned in the fall(november)so I had to put a heater in their tank so the temp was stable at 22*C.

That didn't seem right to me either...their water temp was prolly very cold, and/or the fish had some kinda disease... the temp mine are in is about 66*F (not quite sure wut that would be in *C, I remember back in Elementary school, they attempted to teach us the metric system and wut not, but its all inches and *F's for me LOL)

66*F is about 19*C :D That is just perfect :rolleyes:

Guest Lizzy

Mine didnt hatch until today, which is odd cause they're positioned inside so the water temp should be pretty reasonable...8 days is long! :-)

Got 11 little fish now and I transferred 5 of them in an aquarium that just the other week got abandoned by the little fish from last summer :-)

Since then in had tiny white worms growing in there and I put in some water flees and snails - so far it seems to go ok.

Except what you mentioned as well - clinging to the sides with their yolk sacs :-)

congratulations :D I think 8 days is the normal hatching period.Good luck with your babies!

Guest deedeesue

Congratulations Raynebowfish :D

It must be very exciting for you. Thank you all for the pictures, they are very helpful for newbies.

deedeesue~ the pictures weren't mine, The lovely Coyote Ugly has been helping me with basically everything!! I was reading older links, and found REALLY good fry pictures @ the bristol aquarium web page, they were very clear and showed wut the fry looked like when they just hatched. Congrats on your new fishies too!! Isn't this fun?!?!? No one understands why I am sooo excited about my babies, but, atleast here, it is understood! Oh! I noticed you're from San Diego! My grandma lives there! I went down to visit her back in '98....its so beautiful there...she lives about 3 blocks from the ocean.

Coyote Ugly~

Thanks, yet again! I swear I'm gonna go over-kill on thanking you so much LOL

All the eggies have hatched!!! I counted 13 of them!!! :heart They all still appear to have lil egg sacs on them, so I am confused on when to feed. Do you wait til they swim around a lot?

I had a friend buy me some frozen Brine shrimp from vvvv today while I was at work, cuz we were SUPER busy for a wednesday *I work at Pizza hut, I am a cook there:) we were $1,000 over the predicted sales amount....* And, as it would go, I didn't get out of there til 10:30pm, and all the petstores are closed so she got me some while she was out on a delivery *she doesn't want my babies to die either*

So yeah, in a day or so, will they begin to swim around more, and when that starts do I have to feed them? Or should I start feeding them now?? :unsure:

No thanks necessary :D I can totally relate on how you feel.I was excited and worried as you are now :lol1

You shouldn't start feeding until they are free swimming.You'll definitely know when that time comes because they'll be swimming all the time looking for food.No more clinging on the sides and resting at the bottom :D

btw,I love pizza from pizza hut :heart

Well, well, well, there seem to be fry all around these days! Congratulations, guys! And thanks, Cathy, for all your help! :bighug

Raynebowfish, frozen brine shrimp are a bit too big for the fry, but they should cary frozen baby brine shrimp in the freezer section. When thawed, they look like little specks of dust blowing about in the tank.

Keep us posted! :) _

Guest Lizzy

Awwww thats a good addition you make there Ranchugirl - I had bought the brine shrimp, not the baby ones....oops :D

Well, well, well, there seem to be fry all around these days! Congratulations, guys! And thanks, Cathy, for all your help! :bighug

333160[/snapback]

no thanks necessary Andrea :D I'm glad to see you!after all you're the expert with frys.Without you,I wasn't able to raise mine :bighug:D

Thanks for all the input!! I know now, that I SHOULDN'T be feeding them yet, since they are mostly just clinging to the sides.

I picked up some Hikari First Bites today, and managed to make a ghetto sponge filter...I don't know if its right or not tho...I basically cut a slit through a sponge, and shoved an airstone in it, and put it in the tub, the sponge is aquarium safe...its actually supposed to go inside a filter, but it works perfect for this! *If I made it right...* I have it in the corner with a suction cup holding it down, its hard to explain...the suction cup has a lil C-shape attached to it to hold down a bubble wand, so thats resting on the top of the sponge and holding it there.

I did a small water change, seeing how I HAVE been feeding them...and it went pretty good. I read some other posts, and put salt in along with Methlyne blue (sp) it said to make it look like a windex color...but I'm afraid of making it that dark. They're in a gallon of water, so I added only one teaspoon, not sure if it HAS to be at .3%, and also not sure how much salt to add to make it that concerntrate.

My big goldfish will be happy with the brine shrimp, my friend went to mmm yesterday, and I guess they didn't have baby brines, but she atleast tried! :) A+++ for effort on her part!! I went to vvvv today, and found the Hikari, so it all works out...my big fish get 12 different types of food now...

Coyote Ugly...I also love Pizza Huts pizza...I have to! I eat it everyday!! And haven't gained any weight! *Pizza and Mountain Dew are the main part of my diet LOL*

OH!!! Some one online made a fake Pizza Hut coupon for a free large or extra large pizza! Some kid printed off 18 of them and brought them to one of the stores here in MN LOL Those coupons are fake! and now Pizza Hut corp. is doing this giant investigations to find who made them!!!! *I don't know if I'm supposed to tell people, but I found it funny*

Fake Pizza Hut coupons!! Duh, to go through all that trouble to save a few bucks! :lol:

I have the Hikari First bites myself, and its really good foo. Just remember, the darlings need loads of protein at that stage, so if you can't find the baby brine shrimp, you can try to literally squish the regular brine shrimp into tiny winy pieces with a butter knife. Its almost like mashed potatoes... :lol: That works as well. I do the same thing with bloodworms, or daphnia is also really small to try it out....

Guest Lizzy

Mine are eating Liquifry atm.

The daphnia culture eats the food thats left over so the water doesnt pollute that badly. And soon they should start eating those baby daphnia's ;-)

stupid thing to do making fake coupons :blink::huh: Hey I love pizza too but I only get to eat once a month since no one else likes it :ignore

It's great that you got hikari first bites...I heard that it's good too but we don't have any from where I am :D My frys are 6 month old and I still feed them baby brine shrimp,daphnia and bloodworms.They just love it :heart How are your frys?Anyone free swimming yet?

A few (5-6) are swimming around a lot more!! they're not hanging on the sides, they float around the top, or rest on the bottom. OMG TODAY I SAW 3 OF THEM EAT!!! I got all teary-eyed...LOL

One of my fry has somehow managed to swim into the sponge filter I made...I

attempted to get him out...but then I got scared, so I figure, he got in, he can figure out how to get out...or hes gonna die :(

I have about 4 fry that just sit on the bottom and hardly move still...they all hatched late wednesday night...and so they SHOULD all be swimming around...The ones that sit on the bottom look like their lil spines are bent... I don't think they're gonna make it...BUT!! The otherrs are still doing good! and thats the main thing!

I put in a very small amount of frozen brine shrimp tonight...I basically liquified it, and I saw them eat it!!! AAAH I'm so proud! I changed roughly 30-50% of their water after they eat, so the water quality must be decent if they are still alive.

Coyote Ugly ~ Your fry are 6months??? WOW Do you have any pics of them??? How many do you have that made it, or have they all gotten this far? Hopefully...tomorrow I will be able to use are digi-cam and post some pics!!

Me and my dad are fixing the exhaust pipe on my car tomorrow...my car sounds like a motorcycle...a REALLY loud and obnoxious one at that...I drove my niece and nephew home tonight, and they said my car was an "angry bunny" :huh: I love those kids...

Edited by Raynebowfish

That is great news!Before you know it,they will double in size and would be very hungry :lol: Sorry about the one that got in the sponge though...I hope he was able to get out :unsure:

I had about 25 frys that hatched but only 7 made it to the first month.Most of them had bent spines and some showed signs of SBD.I kept loosing them one by one and now I am left with only 2 :o I just hope these two make it to adulthood.It's rather sad loosing them after all these months :(

112-1235_AUT.jpg

112-1237_AUT.jpg

Guest Lizzy

They so easily die indeed...

I did a small water change last year which made me loose loads as well - the biggest fry was almost dead, so I moved him into the tank with a few younger fry and he ate them all! :(

Needless to say, only a few out of the 40 survived...

But, to be honest, i know have 5 strong fish swimming around, of which 1 is a shubunkin, 1 a white goldfish with an orange tail, and 3 goldies that still need to colour. They are now in the pond outside and are about 6-7 cm.

:cry1

The one in the sponge has a HORRIBLY crooked spine now...Only 5-6 are actually swimming still, and one floats on his side now..(hes still alive tho...just occasionly, I see him on his side. I figure, I'll see how they all do over a week, and if they still aren't swimming or eating, I'll have to throw them in the big tank for the other goldies to eat... :(

I do have SOME good news tho!! I can see their pectoral fins now! :lol: No one else has gotten into the sponge filter of doom. The ones that appear the healthiest don't have crooked spines!! I reread some of the older posts from like years ago to see how their fry had done, and learned some things not to do. So, hopefully, a few will make it, even if its only one, I will be happy.

I did accidently suck one up while siphoning...I don't know which one it is, but he hardly swam, and was one of the fish that are still laying on the bottom, all the swimmers quickly swim away but the bottom ones just stay there...Could it be possible that they still have their egg sacks?? They're all 5 days old now *since hatched* Wow! they're gonna be a week old soon :heart

Coyote Ugly ~ I'm sorry so many of yours didn't make it...but the 2 you have left are very beautiful, and probably make it all worth it :)

Lizzy~ I'm also sorry to hear about all your losses as well. I wish I had a pond..But I live in N. Mpls, and having a pond in my neighborhood isn't a great idea...especially when theres no fence, raccoons, cats and dogs run free and I saw a scary huge looking hawk the other day....

Thank you...when they were just a few weeks old,I was actually okay when they died.I figured it's just how it goes....survival of the fittest :( But I couldn't help crying when I lost one this month and one last march :cry1 I was devastated...

What kind of siphon are you using?I used a medicine dropper to siphon the uneaten food and it worked well for me :) As for the ones that are staying at the bottom,I'm sure they will start swimming in a couple of days...Good luck with them and keep us posted :)

I use airline tubing, and when I get close to where the fry are, or a fry swims by it, I bend it, so the suction goes down pretty much all the way, and only the ones that aren't swimming seem to have an issue with this... :(

I prolly won't be too sad if some die, but when they grow more, I'll be crying for weeks if they die lol...When the first fish I ever kept died, I cried for a week, and then found out what I did wrong, and learned.

My dad was grumpy today, so he wouldn't show me how to use the camara...I'm sure I could figure it out, I figured out how to use my step-dads, and asked him if I could borrow it, but its been having issues recharging. Soon, I will post some pics...I hope!!

Its 3:30am now...time to feed the babies and change the water :) Hopefully the non-swimmers will start swimming soon

Thanks again,

Sarah

Guest Lizzy

coyote ugly - indeed, when they're still so tiny you're bound to loose a few and I wasnt so sad at the time either.

But when 1 fry ate the others I was, cause they were healthy and everything!

And it was worse when, once they were bigger, one died after all...

The older they get, the worse it gets really.

At the moment my daphnia luckily eat all the left over food together with a few snails, so my water is quite clean and I dont need to siphon anything off.

Sarah - I'm dying to make pictures as well, except they're so TINY!

And the camera doesnt focus that well.

I have new fry now btw, which hatched this weekend :)

If you compare them to the ones 5 days older, the older ones already grew glad to say!

I should really make some pictures and start mailing them - I believe I'm 4 breeding awards behind :D

Well, four of them died today...I wasn't sad tho...their spines were REALLY bad...kinda like a "J" shape. Oh well...More room for the others.

Lizzy ~ To get the breeding award, you have to have some type of proof that the fry do indeed exist? Huh...I suppose that makes sense...If they all die, do you still get a reward, or does atleast one have to make it? If thats the case...I will HAVE to start taking pics soon!! :) OH Congrats on your new fry!!!! :heart

I smushed up some freeze-dried tubilfex worms today for the babies, and they seemed to like it. *I used a VERY small amount and squashed the worms really good* :lol:

I have one fry who is much lighter in color than the others...I like him!

I think I can see where their swim bladder is developing...it looks like a lil bubble of air in their bellies...

Not too much has happened since the 4 died...I buried them under the Lilac bush in the backyard. I hope atleast one makes it!!!!!!

Guest Lizzy

You have to send pictures of the fry to Koko for the breeders award.

I dont think they have to survive it, but its not about the award but about the fish, right? :)

And dont worry - the weakest die the soonest; one of mine crashed on a stone but it was already very weak so thats no suprise.

I feed mine on "sera micron" atm, with Liquifry no1.

And I got some freeze dried brine shrimp that I'll add later on.

And about the colour - I had a few white ones too last year, and 1 developed into a bring shubunkin with black/red/orange/blue and the other went white with an orange tail. They're lovely!