Sign in to follow this  
Raynebowfish

Hooray! My Goldfish Are Spawning!

Today, I got home from work, earlier than usual cuz it turned out I wasn't closing cook like I had thought..so I got home, went to see my fish, and my poor Roberta was being chased by both Popcorn and Bear!!! I was confused...and realized they were spawning!!! :)

I ran upstairs as fast as I could, literally screaming with joy that my goldfish were gonna have babies!! My dad looked at me like I was crazy, as did my sister...but that didn't kill my happiness! I called my best friend and was like giving her play-by-play action of wut was going on in my tank *she was disturbed* and told me she was gonna let me go. LMAO Then I called my work and told my manager!!! LOL he laughed at me!

I went back downstairs, and looked some more in my tank and I saw an EGG!! So yet again, the screaming and bouncing off the walls began again, only it was my goldfish had an egg!!!! *I'm an easily excitable person!*

After mellowing out, I realized I needed to get them outta there, and out them in a lil container with an air-stone.

Heres where my questions come in :)

1. can you tell right away when the eggs have been fertilized, or does that take like a day or so? Cuz I didnt see any cloudiness to my water...and none of the eggs look transparent

2. Do you need to have a filter for the fry? Is it like one of those things that are absolutly nessecary?

Oh! the fish that are breeding are Roberta-red and white oranda, Popcorn-black and gold oranda and Bear-Panda moore

Congratulations! I can relate to all your excitement :D I was excited too when my fish spawned the first time :rolleyes:

At this stage,you will not yet know if the eggs are fertilized or not,it usually takes a couple of days before the unfertilized eggs get white in color and start to grow fungus on them while the healthy ones will be clear and if you look closely,you will see 2 black dots inside them.Once you see eggs with fungus,you may want to take them out or they can do damage to your healthy eggs.

The best filter to use is a sponge filter,the ones that you connect to an air pump.I personally didn't use one until the frys were big enough about 1 month old.I just had an air stone :) Hope this helps a bit.

Guest Pondandfish

Congratulations! I can relate to all your excitement.

I have been up man y night, watch and feeding my fry for the past 3 days.

I think there is are about 100+. (maybe 125)

All doing well, eating and free swimming about.

Split the fry into two tanks. (safer this way)

May even split into more tanks.

Many hour will be spent taking care of the young one.

Guest Lizzy

Mine spawned tuesday ;-)

Wednesday the first eggs started to turn white already, and thursday the first fungus appeared as well. Seeing as the temperature outside was VERY low (it was -3 that night) and as my goldies were fairly young, there were only a few eggs so I think I only got like 4 fertilized or so.

But thats fine by me! :-)

I can relate to your excitement - I called my boss at work as well and screamed at him :P (he's as much as a fish nut as I am!)

I have a question...about this whole eggs turning white, if the majority of the egg is clear and theres a white dot *the the tip of a needle* in the middle of the egg, does that mean it has fungus???

I think that means it's fertilized and the fry is developing inside :D The black dots that you see are the eyes.You will definitely know if the egg has fungus because it will be very white in color and will develop a fuzziness around it :blink: Hope this helps a bit...

That does help! I was looking at the plants and noticed there were eggs on it...however they had like a white center and a whitesh "glow" around it...I killed them! LOL they were bad eggs! so far...with the fertilizied eggs, I have like 7. I found a few in my main tank and moved the plants they were on into the little tank with the other fertilizied eggs. THEY HAVE EYES NOW!!!!!!!! I'm so exicted! they should hatch in a few days, right? cuz if I remember, they develop eyes, and then its like 5-7 more days til they hatch? or are the 2 days it takes for the eyes to develop included in the 5-7 days?? if thats the case, they may hatch sooner than I thought! Even if only one makes it, I will be over-joyed!!! I don't know wut I'd do with 7+ babies....my tanks are already a lil over-stocked,technically.

Thanks for your help!!!

Edited by Raynebowfish

You're welcome :D I'm glad I helped a bit....

When my fish spawned,the eggs hatched after 4 days :blink: I think it depends on the temperature.With warmer water temp,they may hatch a bit faster :D If you look closely inside,I'm sure you will be able to see them moving by now....

Guest deedeesue

Oh no! I think my goldfish are spawning :o

Lela is my new hobbie. I have only had her for approx 3 weeks.

I just added Fantasia (both ryukin) on Saturday. They became very cozy right away. This morning I watched the posted video clip of Hans and Hilda. That is exactly what my goldies are doing right now. I think Lela is a Leo. :rofl

Im very new at this and don't know what to do.

I have been looking for the white pimples on "Lela's" gills, but I don't see them.

Help

Guest deedeesue

I just read some of the other posts on breeding, Thanks. I feel safe now, as my goldies are too young, and my tank too warm.

boy do I feel foolish. :krazy:

I had ranchus I thought were young(they were still small about 2")that spawned.My male didn't even have breeding stars :blink: so it might be possible that you'll see eggs in time :D

Guest deedeesue

I'll keep that in mind, and keep an eye out. Thanks. :)

My two boys both didn't have breeding thingies on their gills, it was only on the 2 front fins...

2 OF MY EGGS HAVE HATCHED!!!!

*here comes my questions....*

after they get out of the egg, is it normal for them to sit on the bottom and twitch occasionally???

Or, are they supposed to stay where the egg was and not let go of it until they can actually swim??

cuz the 2 that have came out, are just sitting on the bottom twitching every 30sec. and it made me worried :(

no worries :D That's just normal...they will usually hang on the glass,the surface or stay at the bottom for a couple of days :) They will feed on their yolk sac for a couple of days so you don't need to feed them at this time too. :D Congratulations!your a fishy grandma....

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! that makes me soooo less stressed out!! its good to know theres people on here late at night! Very reasurring :)

I dont have to feed them for a few days now right? Or would it technically be two days, seeing how they hatched today? Babies are confusing :rolleyes:

I consider myself the momma...or the serregate mother anyways...seeing how my fish would eat them and I've got all the hard work to do LOL

You can buy sponge filters at all petstores right?? I don't think I've ever looked for one before....Oh well, I'll just keep the airstone going til they're swimming and need to be fed.

Thanks again!!!

Just so you know,it's 5 PM where I'm from :D

You can start feeding them when you see them free swimming and start searching for food.I fed mine boiled egg yolk mixed with a bit of tank water(be careful not to overfeed this though,it could be a lot of mess)for 4 days and switched to frozen baby brine shrimp.

I'm sure you can find sponge filters at your LFS :unsure: I'm gonna try to find a pic of one so you'll have an idea of what it looks like :D

its 3:20AM where I am at LOL...I love the night life hahaha

That is one crazy looking filter!!! :blink:

Thanks again!

You wouldn't happen to have any pics of fry that has just hatched so I can compare mine to it, would you?? Or anyone else reading this!

:)

You're up late or may I say early :blink:

I found a pic of frys after hatching... :D

Edited by coyote ugly

Guest yabbie

How did you do that?

My fry are 13 weeks old and my camera still can't focus on them.

But I did find great photos at this site: Fry stages

That's a photo I found on line :blink::huh:

Thanks so much :heart

I was watching them tonight, and I noticed that one of them was swimming!!! Not very much, just a little zoom from here to there! But it made me happy and gave me more hope! I will be so heart broken if none of them make it....I put salt in there container...its about a gallon of water, so I put in a teaspoon...or was it a half teaspoon....I cant remember...

Now that they're starting to swim..do I have to start feeding them?? I don't have fry food...and the soonest I can get it is tomorrow after-noon....would crumbling up any type of fish food work??

That is great to hear :)

You could maybe crush pellets/flakes until it's fine and powdery(is that a word??)or you could try the egg yolk.

By the way,how big is their tank?Frys do not do well in very deep tanks or they will not be able to reach the surface.keep the water level about 5~6 inches....

I think powdery is a word......LOL

I don't actaully have them in tank...theyre in one of those lil storage totes, and its filled with about 4 inches of water, I know its not any deeper than 6, because thats how tall it is. So I can use flakes...thats good to know, atleast til I get a chance to get them some fry food...I fed them powdered spiralina (sp) flakes...they dont seem very interested...but I can't tell if they're actaully eating it or not because they're just so tiny!!! I have a hard time finding them sometimes! Lil buggers...

Do you know about how long it will take until they're swimming around most of the time? They're only 6 days old now...*not since they hatched...but since they were eggs*

Thanks again for all your help...I don't know what in the world I would do without you right now LOL...well, actually I'd prolly be panicking and freaking out wondering wut I WAS suppose to do!!! :rofl

You're welcome...glad I could help :D

Do you know about how long it will take until they're swimming around most of the time?

Some of my frys were free swimming after 4 days and the rest after a week or so.I guess it depends on the day that they hatched maybe? :unsure: