Slightly Hollow Ornament

Dory

I just bought an aquarium ornament for my 55g and there is a very slight hollow space in it, it's an aligator and it has a tube that you can hook up so that bubbles will come out of it's mouth. the hollow spot is underneath it's belly and it's like 2 by 1 1/2" and 3/4" deep so it's not very big and the fish can't get in there so if I cleaned under it when I change water (usually once a week) would that be ok? :huh:

I dont think it would be a problem, its a small space after all. But to be on the safe side do you think you could fill it with something? Tank safe rubber cement maybe? I dont think it would be a problem though if you moved it regularly.

We carry those at work! They are a big hit. There shouldnt be any danger of stagnant water forming under them, especially with the bubbling. That danger comes more from the large hollow ornaments with a lot of room for the water to sit and stagnate. Yuck!

I don't think I can fill it in because there are some small holes were the tube goes in and out that the sealant might leak out, so I'll just clean under it very well when I can.

What about other ornaments though? I can't seem to find any that don't have some sort of hollow space in them!! Are we mainly concerned about the fish getting inside it(and getting sick because of the stagnant water) or just the stagnant water polluting the rest of the tank? Any specific Do and Don'ts on this?

I'm pretty sure it's the danger of the ornament releasing the stagnate (and toxic) water into the tank. Moving the ornament causes the nasty water to get into the tank and possibly make the fish sick or kill it. Sometimes the fish themselves will move the ornaments and cause this to happen.

Archived