I Think I May Get A Little Snail Tank..

Kissy

I'm a total newbie to snails but I think they are really cute and I may get a few soon. I need help on the requirements tho.

Here is the big list of questions:

Will a 2 gallon "pet carrier" thingie do for snails only? I think I may get a couple plants to put in there..what kind is best? Do they just need to be rooted in gravel? If I give my snails plenty of veggies will they eat the plants? Does a snail/plant tank need lights? Do you need to condition water for them? What pH do they like best? How do you clean their tank (especially a small one with plants)? Does it hurt the snails to pluck them off the glass? Will an airstone be sufficient enough for the snails if I have plants in there? What about without plants?

I know this is a huge list of questions, I'm sorry. I just want to know the REAL requirements opposed to getting some bogus ones off the internet that may not be true. If there is a good snail website with lots of info, it would be helpful to me :)

I found that applesnail.net was a great resource when I had snails. If you have specific questions, though, there are lots of people on this forum who'll answer. In fact, I'm sure Devs'll come around here sometime later and give you all the information I can't. :lol:

Will a 2 gallon "pet carrier" thingie do for snails only?

~in general, the rule for snails is 2 gal per snail...wouldnt give you much room :(

I think I may get a couple plants to put in there..what kind is best?

~Depends on what kind of snail...alot will happily munch down your plants

Do they just need to be rooted in gravel?

~again, depends on the type of plant

If I give my snails plenty of veggies will they eat the plants?

~most likely not since theyll be busy with the veggies, but mine are cows and would eat the plants too :blink:

Does a snail/plant tank need lights?

~LOL plants need light to grow! youll have a rotten mess of dead plants w/o light! snails dont really care thought. I believe they are a bit nocturnal

Do you need to condition water for them?

~yup! same as fish

What pH do they like best?

~higher PH...usually 7.6-7.8. snails suck up the PH

How do you clean their tank (especially a small one with plants)?

~depends on the type of snails...some are lil poop factories, some are cleaner...once a week seems sufficient, if its filtered. every few days, if not.

Does it hurt the snails to pluck them off the glass?

~I dont kno, I usually just wiggle mine untill the let go....cept if I pulled mine, they'd probably crack the glass theyre so big! :blink:

Will an airstone be sufficient enough for the snails if I have plants in there?

~They dont even NEED an airstone, but its nice to have. they llke to play in the bubbles :D

What about without plants?

~huh?

Applesnail.net is awesome too!

Hope i helped! :)

Well I went to applesnail.net and got all the info. My water is actually perfect for snails lol. I was planning on getting a 2.5 gallon for one or 5 gal for 2 but I was hoping that snails didn't need a filter. But they do, so I guess I will have to wait til I can afford a huge goldfish tank and maybe I'll add some then. Thanks guys :)

YOu really dont need much of a filter, a small interal filter would do just fine, I have a Fluval1 that I use in conjunction with a larger HOB filter, if I had a smaller tank and less snails, the Fluval would be enough for them, plus, its not a really strong intake that will suck up snailie feet! :D

wow thats pretty good..can you pull it off the website and leave the link for me? I couldn't find the right size or even that price last night on vvvv.com

I think you'll definitely need a filter - snails poop a lot.

The only snails that don't eat plants (if I remember correctly) are Brigs, aka Pomacea bridgesii. They are sometimes sold at pet stores and come in many colors, although pet stores usually care poor quality specimens in the plain wild type color and gold. If I were you, I'd buy a few nice colored ones off the web.

I don't know if it hurts them to pluck them off the glass or not, but my guess is no. I pick mine up all the time and the older ones don't close up anymore, they just sit there and let me scoop them off the glass. The younger ones close up tightly as soon as I pull them off. I'm guessing that if it does hurt them, they learn to just let go of the glass so it doesn't hurt. *shrug*

Archived