An Apple Snail And Black Mystery Snail

kiesha

I came in today and my snail were in the same spot.. well a few minutes ago I noticed there were still there. So I got the net and moved them around... they seemed very light. I put them in another spot and they have NOT moved. Kisses and Tom as knocking them around while the clean the rocks. My question is WHAT would make both of them die like that ?

I don't know that much about snails, but I do think they change shells, too. Perhaps you are finding a discarded shell.

I would imagine they rest :)

Snails are extremely sensitive to medications in the water, so if you have used anything in the water recently, that could affect them, also.

:hi Yes snails do sleep, expecially is they just had a large meal. If one doesn't move for 3 days (in the same spot) then start to worry. You can also tell if they are dead by picking one up and smelling it. Your nose knows. It will smell very.... bad. I've had snails before in my tropical tank, but I've only had my goldies for about 2 weeks now. One thing I noticed with the snail that is with my goldies (from the old tropical tank) is that he has a hard time getting food now, the goldfish eat everything up). I will take him out of the tank, put him a a cup with water from the tank and feed him all by himself. This way I KNOW he is eating. He usually starts togobble all the food I give him right away. I check on him in about an hour or two and the food is all gone, then he goes back in the tank. He will usually sleeps for a long time after that meal. I do this once every week. Hope this helps.

thanks for the excellent info guys. my snails eat. one time my oranda missed a pea and that snail moved faster than flash to get it :rofl it was hilarious.. also I try and put the food in the area's that the snails are in. My apple snail is growing biggg

Guest kendrathefish

I'm brand new to the site, in fact this is my first post. I just added two snails to my goldfish tank yesterday (I am assuming they are apple snails) and they seem to be doing quite well. I also added a live corkscrew plant as well. Do I have to worry about my snails getting enough food, should i feed them seperately or will they do fine with the algae and whatever else they find in the tank?

If your snails have light colored shells the shells are sometimes translucent and you can actuallly see the heartbeat! Also almost always when they die, their shell door falls open and their body hangs out. And like mentioned before the smell will give it away. Snails are sensitive to medications and salt. No they dont change shells like hermit crabs. The shells are actually part of them and it grows with them. Thats why its important for them to have nice hard water with lots of minerals in it. Mine literallly doubled in size the first week I had him! LOL

I try to give my snails an algae wafer a day. It so happens the tank they live in has a lot of algae too. They also like lettuce and shrimp pellets. Unfortunately apple snails will eat any live plants in with them.

• 3 weeks later...

Snails do not outgrow their shells. The shell is part of them and they grow with it (I raise them). One one dies the smell is terrible and the foot that covers the opening of the shell will not close when you pick them up. My Koi are known for eating my dead snails before I can even get to them so I usually don't have a smell to worry about.

My snails love lettuce and cucumber. You just have to take the seeds out of the cucumber.

Archived