Sign in to follow this  
Groucho the goldfish

Goldfish/koi

Generally, koi eat almost anything you drop in there. If the koi are rather large though, I am not sure they can even see the baby shrimp. Mine would swim right by them since they are so tiny. Even adult shrimp are kind of hard to catch for the real big guns... :ymmu

What size is your tank? and your koi? Normaly koi grow very quickly and should be kept in ponds, not tanks. They can get very large.

:blink: Not good at all. As a general rule on here it is recomended 1 fish per 10 gallons of water - minimum. Koi need much more than that - they belong in ponds or very large tanks. You are at risk for future problems with your fishes health. Please read some of the post on the board and take the advice of those who know from experience. Good luck.

Guest Luke Anderson

Koi need 100 bare minimum while growing, and at a bare minimum of 200 when mature. 1000 gallons per mature kio is much better :o

Very serious - you may stun his growth, I am not sure what other effects if could have on him. Goldfish and Koi both produce lots of waste that is toxic to them if they do not have enough water. Koi can get very large - size depends on genetics and how they are raised. You could keep him in a 55 gallon for a while, but he needs a pond or a big tank.