Rabbitfish

fishfelice

I was wondering if anyone has ever had a Foxfaced or Whitefaced Rabbitfish. I saw one munching away on algae in a sponge tank on one of our fishopping excursions. Anway, I decided I had to have one. Of course I knew I had to research it first to make sure it was compatible, etc.

I did some research and it sounds perfect. It has a voracious appetite and grazes even on hair algae, yet it leaves invertebrates alone (supposedly). I also read it is peacable and hardy. It sounds like just the fish I need (some of you may remember my tank is prone to algae). There is too much algae for my Yellow Tang to keep up with on its own. As a bonus, the Rabbitfish is attractive and a mid-level swimmer as well.

I was wondering if anyone had some experience with this species, as sometimes the books don't replace knowledge from experience.

Thanks! :)

• Admin

I have seen this fish hun but my tank is to small for this kind of fish.....hopefully someone else will have some info for you :D

found this about the foxface rabbitfish.

I commonly get asked the question "What is the hardiest Tang for the saltwater aquarium?" My answer is always, "The Foxfaced Rabbitfish." Rabbitfish, like Moorish Idols, are surprising very closely related to the Tang / Surgeonfish family. The Foxfaced Rabbitfish is one of the best inhabitants for a reef tank.

Rabbitfish are from the family Siganidae. There are either one or two genre, it hasn't been decided upon yet. There are around 13 species, with 4 being common in the aquarium trade. Many have been known to reproduce in captivity, although it is very uncommon in the home aquarium. They are an important food-fish in many countries.

These fish are poisonous, so exercise a lot of caution when working with them and around them. The anal and dorsal spines, which are erected when they are scared, have a toxin that is more painful than that found in any common Lionfish. However, it is not deadly. It is best to check with a doctor right away if you get stung though, as you could have an allergic reaction that needs medical treatment. Most people I know who have gotten stung just had complaints of burning and slight swelling.

The Foxface is sometimes called the Badgerfish, but that name usually refers to Siganus virgatus, so the name Foxface is usually used in the trade. Some local fish stores may simply call them Yellow Rabbitfish as well. This fish reaches 10 inches in the wild, but 7.5 inches is much more common to see in captivity. The minimum size tank is 55 gallons. They are active fish, although easily frightened. They come out of the Pacific Ocean, although not overly popular near Hawaii. They are a very bright yellow color, with a black spot near the rear of them, and white and black on their head for contrast. A very pretty fish, and when the spines are erected, they are quite a show. A medium-sized specimen normally runs 25$ retail in the Eastern US.

Fortunately, these fish are quite peaceful in the aquarium. They are seldom aggressive towards new additions, even if they are the same color and shape. However, due to their poisonous, turn off the lights for 48 hours after adding new fish to the tank. This is one of the best ways to control aggression towards new additions. Except in groups in larger aquariums, it is best to have only one Foxface per tank. The results of combining them with other Rabbitfish species, like the Spotted Rabbitfish, cannot be generalized upon as of yet. While they are peaceful, the fish can hold their own in a tank quite well.

These fish are easy to acclimate to captivity, and eat a wide variety of foods. They are also reef safe, although very small shrimps, like Pistol Shrimp, they are sometimes rumored to consume. They are exceptional grazers, with huge appetites. They eat green algae, and even hair algae many times, better than any other saltwater fish. They are less specific about the algae they eat than many Tangs are as well. They also will eat off the top of the aquarium, and krill is good to feed them. Brine Shrimp and Romaine lettuce (providing a lot of algae isn't present for them to eat) round out the perfect diet for them.

At night, and when scared, they take on a giraffe-pattern to their body. Dark blotches appear, and they are able to blend into the darkness very easily, with the exception of the front of their head, which has a bright white stripe coming from the top down to the mouth when looking at the fish "head-on."

The Foxfaced Rabbitfish is a hardy, pretty, common, and cheap fish that is a great addition to a saltwater aquarium. In addition, it is active, large yet peaceful, and exceptional at eating algae. The only drawback is their poisonous, and if care is taken, it isn't a problem.

and this site too

http://species.fishindex.com/130

hope that helped :)

Thank you so much Sandy! That was very helpful. :)

I'm pretty convinced I need this fish. As of now I have three relatively small fish in a 75 gallon tank (if you include the 20 gal sump), and I've been wanting to add one more fish. I need something to help with the hair algae, my Yellow Tang can't handle it all by herself. Once the algae is controlled I want to add corals and sponges.

I'm used to dealing with fish with weaponary since all but one of my fish have poisonous spines or razors of some sort. They prefer to swim away and hide rather than attack.

Rabbitfish are great. They seem to be very hardy, too. I think one would make a great addition to your tank! I would recommend quarantining it first, just to be safe. ;)

• 7 months later...

Alas I have not yet found a fox-face rabbit fish to my liking around here. :( There was another type of rabbit fish at the pet store but it was in a tank with an ich infested sturgeon. I still have my eyes out for one though because algea goes crazy in my tank.

I did get three green chromis and they are very cute! They add a nice splash of blue/green to the tank. I now have a yellow tang, an engineer goby, the three green chromis and a brittle star. Plus a lot of snails. The only other fish I want is the rabbit fish and then I'm stopping.

• 2 weeks later...

No I haven't got one yet. I did take pics of my tank though. I also took pics of my new 45 gallon tank for Black Jack (my shubunkin). I'm having trouble getting the pics into my computer though. :unsure:

Anyway I'm thinking of ordering my rabbitfish from Marine Depot. They seem to know what they're doing as far as shipping fish. If I don't do that I might order one from one of the fish stores in Kansas City. I don't know if I trust fish shipped from online dealers.

I understand your apprehension with getting fish shipped, I am always concerned myself?Just would add that I have had good luck with fish that were shipped to me so far....I have found that you just have to follow the acclimation directions very carefully.....

Archived