Molly Fry!

Well,a few days ago I bought a molly and a bala shark.The molly was preganant.Well,today I looked at her and she looked a little slow.Well,I came back later and couldnt see her.Then I while looking around I saw something black dart near the gravel.I got exited thinking of fry.I looked around and finnaly saw some more.Then I saw the mom in the ceramin rock/cave giving birth.Since I cant keep all of them <_< I have to let some get eaten and the ones that survive survive :( :crp

This is the first time I've EVER had fry!I'm so exited :)

congratulations,!!

i never had the joy with my molly my dad got me, she passed on now. i tend to steer clear of live bearers for the same reason - i havent got the room for all the fry :lol:

Good luck stiil :D

congrats on the babies, its always nice to see them. dont feel too bad if they get eaten though.

is the bala in the 10 gallon? if so then he will grow to 6 inches and more sometimes.

you do need to rehome the bala im afraid. its overstocked on the tank on its own. these fish require big tanks and shoals of similar fish, sorry.

x_x

I dont have anywhere else to put it and i dont think mmm will let me return him.UNLESS,my goldfish let him stay with them,which I highly dought.But maybe??that stinks.

Well,I went out for around 5-6 hours came back and couldnt see any fry.Either their hiding or have been eaten.It's been hot today and the temp got up to 86 degrees.

What should I do

:) Congrats on the new fry.Hopefully you have some plants & hidey holes in there so all won't get eaten.Bala Sharks should not really be sold to the Public in my opinion.I believe this based on my own experiences.I got them when they were very tiny,not realizing that they require hundreds of gallons of tank space to thrive.And also,as Sandy said,they much rather prefer to school with their own kind.When My Bala SHark died,he was between ten and 12 inches long.The Bigger he got,the more he freaked out because my tank was not near big enough for him.They are able to swim really fast,and he'd go flying into the tanks side glass.I really felt bad for him.I loved my Bala's,they should have been in huge tanks though.How long have you had him? I would take him back to the store & tell them that he doesn't get along with your fish-maybe they'll let you trade for something else. With the access we have with the internet these days,everyone should get in the habit of researching the fish that they like-Before they buy them. ;) As for your tank getting too hot,Keep the light off ,and if you want,you can take a plastic Soda Bottle& fill with water and freeze.. Once it's frozen,place it in your tank-this should bring the temps down some. :)

just to add as well, if they feel closed in balas have a tendency to try and jump out. make sure the lid is on tight!

Good mention Sandy! :rolleyes: I don't know how in the world that I forgot to mention that! Yes,Bala's are well known to be jumper's-I've seen it myself! :blink: One day I was cleaning the fish tank,and stopped a moment to catch something on the telly.The next thing I knew,My Bala came soaring out of the tank so high that he almost hit my ceiling.! I could not believe that he could jump so well. He looked like a dolphin or a Sailfish!!!What's really sad though,is after that,I made sure to keep the lid closed,but there was an open space in the back of the tank lid,only a couple inches or soWasn't concerned though because he looked too big to fit through the hole,and I really didn't think at that angle,that he'd ever be able to get out of there anyway. Well,I was wrong. :cry1 I found him one morning on my Hardwood floors,and it was just too late. :cry1

aww devs how sad :hug

i love balas too and had one grow to nearly 10 inches before i had to give him away as my four foot long tank was getting too cramped and i would have been so sad if he had jumped and died.

he went with my other bala to a six foot tank and it was nice to see them in a bigger tank.

back then i bought them because they looked nice and didnt know a thing about them. it would have been different though if we had the internet, as its a great place to research any fish you get beforehand. :)

Awww...I really liked him to.I still dont see any fry :(

Hopefully there just hiding...My goldies lived with platys for a long time.Maybe they'll except Kelvin?I wanted to name him Natsu but my bro kept bugging me -_-

Maybe when he gets a bit bigger?My tank,thougj,would be a bit overstocked.

I'm scared to return him-Something bad may happen to him. :(

I dont know what I should do :(:(

Archived