My Story W/substrate Question

Guest MonknSharona

Guest MonknSharona

Ok, I'll just start from the beginning and I apologize if it's lengthy but it does lead up to my question on what to do now. :)

Thursday is pea day for the Orandas, Monk and Sharona. Typically Sharona is very exciting about feeding and often eats too quickly for Monk to get any (so he is often hand fed). This day, she was very slow. She was excited to get a bite, but it took her forever to eat one. I thought maybe I didn't get the skin off of one all the way and she was gnawing on it. I could see bits flying back out of her mouth too. At noon, I kept looking back to check on her (the tank is behind one of the couches) and she was sitting on the bottom of the tank, and kept pooching her mouth way open. I couldn't figure it out. It looked like she couldn't breathe. I tried to look more closely and then she turned to face me, like she was trying to show me. I could see all the way down her throat practically. And there it was! A big rock stuck in her mouth! All I could think to do was to get it out right away!! I thought for sure she'll either starve or suffocate! So I ran to find something and there were my hemostats! I never bring them home from work, and when I do, I can never find them. But this time, they were right in front of me. I grabbed them and grabbed Sharona, stuck the hemostats in her mouth, grabbed the rock and pulled. I don't know if this is correct or not but it's almost like things can get in the mouth, but not out so easily. She freaked, and I let go. The rock still in there, I started to get nervous. But here came Monk. :) I grabbed Sharona again and he sat right next to her while she was in my hand. As long as he stayed with her, she would let me do what I needed to do. If he swam away, she'd panic. But he stayed mostly, she sat very still, I stuck the hemostats in her mouth again, twisted and pulled and it popped out!! I let go of Sharona, she swam away, mouth seeming a little sore for a couple of minutes, but there was Monk, staying right with her. :) I stupidly dropped the rock and dont know which one it is now but I'm glad she is OK. The funny thing: if I had stopped to think about it, I probably would have been to chicken to do anything. Afterwards, I dropped my hemostats and stood there all shaky and scared thinking "I can't believe I just shoved those things down a fish's throat and pulled that thing out!" :) The nice thing: I'm so glad these two love each other so much. While she was at the bottom, Monk kept nudging her to get up, which is what she does to him at times too. I just love these two fish!

So, now my question. I've got to change that substrate. I've seen her suck on a rock before and spit it back out. This is now becoming very worrysome for me. I use the larger, natural looking gravel sold for fish tanks; it's about 1/2 - 1 inch diameter give or take. I saw some really big stuff this weekend but it looks very difficult to keep clean. Also, what about sand? I've never used sand before so would need some advice there. I heard somewhere that if they ingest sand it passes right on through...? Any other suggestions would be greatly appriciated. The stuff we have now is both too small in that she is able to get it stuck, and too big that she can't pass it.

Now I'm paranoid and check on her all hours of the day! :)

Thanks.

i think sand can iratat the gills of goldfish but i am not show on that one so maybe some one else can tell you if this is true

in the other hand you could go bear bottem this i mean have no grav at all but i do not like the look of this but you could try it and see what you think

i would go for the biggest (grav) you can find

Guest PenelopeFish

I've kept barebottom tanks, sandy tanks and river rock tanks. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Sandy bottom tanks are really the most difficult to care for. It is hard not to suck up all the sand when you are vacuuming (sp?) the bottom, and the fish do consume a lot of it. I don't think the sand is bad for the fish, mine never got sick on it, but they poop it out a lot. That worried me none the less. The barebottom tanks are really easy to clean, but as said already, poop stands out like no body's business. Plus, I believe that it is more difficult to cycle the tank with no gravel (someone correct me on this). I personally really like the river rock idea. It looks beautiful, and is easy to clean if you have the ability to move the rocks and flip them upside down. If you have plants and things in there too, or the rocks are too big to flip with the vacuum, it's not easy to clean. Ahhh! the choices!

I really enjoyed your story, and it made me so happy that you just went for it with those tweezers. I am sure your fish is so thankful. Good luck in finding a suitable substrate!

PenelopeFish :heart

• Admin

Sand isn't good for goldfish cause it can cause abrasions on the gills.

river rocks are great with goldfish and you don't have to fill the whole tank with them. I have a bare bottom 45 gal tank with about 30 river rocks on the bottom of the tank.

cycling with out rocks isn't hard at all if your tank is an established one and if you don't, you could still do it with the right filtration system :D

Ohhh such a warm fuzzy goldfish story :) I love those things. Koko, we should have a warm fuzzie story of the month contest! Or just a story of the month. Either way, I love reading true stories about people's goldfish :goldfish:

Guest MonknSharona

I'm so glad you all liked the story so much! :) The sweetness of Monk and Sharona and how much they appear to truly care for each other is what makes them so special to us. You just can't look at one without the other one being right next to it. We just love these fish.

With river rock....is this something that can be purchased at, like, Lowes? If so, how do I know what is best to get? I guess I am leaning more towards this thought; previously I was considering sand, but after hearing of the effects it can have on goldies, and as sick as these two are all the time, I don't think I'd better risk it. :D

Thanks for all your guys' and gals' help! :)

Archived