Oh No! This Is Bad!

Guest Mystic_Fish_keeper

Guest Mystic_Fish_keeper
:cry1 I really don't understand whats wrong.(my oranda) He was laying at the bottom for aawhile with tiny potrusions on his gill covers. The black moor seemed fine though. Now his color seems to be fading. Its horrific to watch. Hes laying a the bottom breathing heavily and seems like it takes him all his might to move just a little bit. He seems a bit paralyzed. Im very scared now... :help1

Eep!! Would you happen to have a test kit?? I am new to goldies so I don't have any good specific advice yet, but the others on the forum usually ask me for tank parameters first when I post a question (see the top of the page for the questions they'll ask you)..

Also, what do the protrusions look like?? Parasitic?

I am keeping my toes & fingers crossed for your little one!!! :heart

:( Hi Mystic,it sounds like real problems there. I know that you're in a panic,but could you possibly answer the questions in the box above so we have a" Heads up" on things to start with. Also,Could you please go into a little more detail on what you mean by "protrusions"? Thanks.

Guest Mystic_Fish_keeper

Its really scary. I don't have a test kit at the moment. Hes lying on his side but still breathing. Fast breathing. The protrusions....His gill cover is silver and they look like raised bumps from the inside. He seems to have no will right now. I gave them a parasite buddies medication (and exchanged filter cartridges). Just in case the black more may have contracted a bit., though he looks fine. Ed is the super sick one. Gandalf is the black moor.

Guest Mystic_Fish_keeper

The tank is ten gallons (which I really hope to move them into a 20 or 29 soon). I fed them his favorite food today too. Defrosted brine shrimp and he didn't even move.... THAT is defintely not like my always ravagingly hungry little Ed. I change 4 gallons of water every week and gravel vac it too. Its been running for at least 4 months now. It has 2 power filters. I add stress coat,ammonia balancers,algeacides,and nitrifying bacteria. An underwater plant fertilzer every other week too. Just by the symptoms the past few weeks I've been roughing a nitrate problem but seemed to have had it under control.

Guest Mystic_Fish_keeper
:cry1 Horrible news.....he died....Ed was my first goldie and seemed so fit and happy. I got him from a tank full of happy fish. Gandalf,the survivor is from nnnnnn where some of the fish in his tank had fin rot and probably were infected....

I am so sorry to hear about Ed.. :( He was a very lucky, very loved little oranda.

He won't be lonely in the big fishy playland now, though, cuz my babies are the official tag-game coordinators! :heart He has endless brine shrimp to eat now, too!..

:hug

Now we've just gotta make sure that Gandalf is okay. Would it be possible for you to get a test kit? In the meantime, I'd change out some of the water to make sure the water quality isn't the problem... maybe at least 30%?

My thoughts are with you. :crp

:( I am sorry that you lost your fish. it's really hard to deal with that.I'm sure all of us have been there at one time or another. One thing,that I'd like to stress for anyone that keep fish,is that you MUST invest in a Water testing Kit for testing PH/Nitrites/ Ammonia/and NitrAtes,and have one on hand at all times. I can't stress that enough. So many problems that fish have seem to come from Water Quality issues. If you have a test kit,then we know right off the bat at least half of what we're dealing with. Another thing,there is a recommended ten gal per fish for a reason.Goldies are Dirty! If you're overstocking the tank,then you need to do constant testing on your Paremeter's,& you need to do enough water changes during the week to make up for it being overstocked. Mystic,I saw you say that you add Stress Coat,Ammonia Balancer's,Algaecides,and Nitrifying Bacteria.In my personal opinion,you really don't need all of that.If you keep your tank stocked correctly/test your Parameter's /Do weekly water Changes & Gravel Vac's,the only thing that you really need is A water Conditioner to remove Chlorines/Chloramines etc. When you first mentioned Ed's Gill Plate,the first thing that came to my mind were Breeding Stars. It was a thought. I am at a loss on where to go with this right now.I would like to add that you shouldn't treat fish for diseases if you're not sure that is the problem.These Meds that can help your fish,can also turn around and hurt them if they're being used & not needed.What it all comes down to is that I feel bad that you lost Ed,& I really don't want anything to happen to Gandalf.If you get a chance,buy a test kit.If you don't have the money right now,your LFS should test your water for free if you bring a sample in.n I hope things work out for you and Gandalf! :heart

Archived