Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

Breeding Behaviour....

Sorry, I'm sure you hear this same question all the time, I read down the page a ways but I didn't find my specific question.

I have some girls in my tank.....now I have a boy, with breeding stars. He chased my female with his nose in her butt for hours and hours, he didn't even stop to eat. Although the female grabbed a few pellets that were sinking in her line of fire LOL.

Anyway today his breeding stars are more pronounced but he doesn't seem to be chasing her as much. He only does it every once in awhile.

She didn't release any eggs.

Do female goldfish always have eggs? Will she release them? Or will I have to wait till they get in the mood again LOL.

Jessica

sometimes a temerature change can trigger them to breed. my shbunkin always has breeding stars but only when he is put in the mood do they become more pronounced. females do have eggs stored until they are used. if this still doesnt work, try feeding them cooked rice. do you have many plants in your tank? as i just said to tanya, you need some bushy plants for them to lay their eggs in or they will just chase each other and think 'why the22 are we doing this, theres no plants' and stop. you could have just missed the courting and they have already layed if the stars are very pronounced. if you need any more help just tell me and i will be pleased to help.

good luck!

Thank you, yes I do have some bushy plants, I have 7 plants in the tank right now. THey stopped chasing for a couple of days, and now his breeding stars are very visable again and he's chasing her around. LOL. Maybe she lays eggs in the middle of the night, and they eat them all while I am sleeping. I dunno!

Jessica

maybe! keep checking. if you need any more advice you can email me or something if you want :)