Keeping Moors

goldygal

I am just curious why it is so hard to keep Black Moors?

Is there some "must do" things in order for them to thrive to their fullest?

As you remember from a previous post my little moor had a tough time with an otto cat. Now that the otto cat is gone and everything is calm now I have been noticing they eyes like I mentioned being a bit cloudy. And tonight I noticed the body with a slight whiteish haze on it.

I did have salt in the tank after the deal with the otto cat, tonight I did a water change and added the only med I have "ick guard" it also treats velvet disease.

I have noticed the moor hanging around the top of the tank alot, not gasping for air though but very sluggish looking. Is this normal for these types of goldfish or should they be more active?

:fishtank:

Moors, like the fancier and more exotic types of goldfish, have been inbred for a long time and therefore have been weakened and are not as hardy as some of the other types. They tend to have health problems. One of the main reason are the large telescope eyes. They have a very difficult time seeing and getting around, and for that reason the eyes do get damaged a lot. It is not unusual for them to look a little cloudy at times. As long as its not getting progressively worse its usually nothing to worry about.

I have also noticed the haze on the body that you have mentioned. Sometimes its as simple as adjusting to a new environment. What is your pH? Sometimes pH swings can affect them like that.

Is this a new fish? Is it in a tank alone? If it is a new arrival I would bet that he is still just settling in. Moving from the breeder to the pet store to a new tank is very hard on these little guys.

Is he scratching or flashing at all? I wouldnt rush to medicate just yet as sometimes that can just make matters worse.

What are your water Parameter readings? Moor's can get cloudy eyes from Ammonia etc. How big is your tank,and how often do you change out their water? I have four Black Moor's ,and I really don't find that I have to do anymore than Regular Water changes for them. :)

Thanks for the replies.

He is new but I have had him for about 3 weeks now. I did move him from a downstairs tank to an up stairs tank 10 gal.

My ph is 7.8, I don't alter my ph or buffer it as I have had horrible experience with doing this in my 20 years in this hobby.

I do water changes weekly as I know goldfish can be moving poop machines. When I moved this fish I took the current running filter, gravel and half the water from his existing tank. Have done this many of times and it sure helps to prevent alot of stress.

That otto cat did not help matters but I think the moor is well on the mend now.

This morning he looks pretty good, eats like crazy but not very active I find. Maybe that is how they are meant to be. All I can do is keep a clean tank for him and feed him well. I hope to see a huge change by this week, keeping fingers crossed.

:)

My moor had some troubles while waiting for her tank to cycle (lots and lots of bottom sitting) but she is back to her nutty self now that her water is healthy on a daily basis. Was the tank you moved her to cycled? My little girl doesn't do well past 3 ppm ammonia (understandably). As I said though, she is super happy now. :)

I sure hope she perks up though.

Guest urbanangel1985x

i just bought a moor and put it into a new tank (20 gallons) with a few other goldfish and all it seems to want to do is float near the top it hardly ever goes to the bottom and when it does it just sits in the corner and barely breathes. is something wrong with him?

There are many things that could possibly be wrong.... How many fish do you have in the tank? How big are they? How long has the tank been up? Are you using an airstone? What kind of filter do you have? Do you have a test kits to give levels on pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

It might help you more quickly to post in disease and discussion and give as much of the info that they request at the top of the page.

Good news..... :D My Buggy is doing alot better. I did put in some Ick guard two days ago and this morning Buggy is just a swimming all over. I do have a buddy in there with him a small fantail, they both get along just great.

There is still some white shading on Buggy though, I am going to do a water change and put 1/2 the amount of ick guard back in there again as it also treats velvet disease.

I am so happy I have not lost my Buggy...... :krazy:

Archived