How Do I Lower Nitrite?

Guest blueeyes203

Guest blueeyes203

Spunky has recovered from ich and a swim bladder problem and my lovely oranda is starting to look and act healthy again.

my question is, how do i lower the nitrite? is there a household product i can use, or do i have to buy a special treatment. i was away for 1 week and had a friend finish the ich treatment and feed her...i left with all levels pretty normal, and when i came home, the nitrite was beyond 10. amonia was 0.5 and ph was 7.6. I right away vacuumed and did a 50% water change to get the nitrite down, but it is between 3 and 5 now.

Also, since the treatments for ich, i noticed that spunky's back fin is a little ragged and the very edges are a tint of blue from the treatments color. a few scales on each side of her is also missing...could this be from the nitrite level being so high? or the treatment? the ich? or a combo of 2 or all 3?

So everyone's acting ok?

What did you treat with?

Did you add carbon to the filter?

I'd do another partial water change or two.

I'd also add salt at 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. predissolve in tank water and make sure it disperses well when you add it. You can use table salt as long as it doesn't contain yellow prussiate of soda. Rock salt is cheap and works well. NitrIte is toxic. It enters thru the gills and binds up the red blood cells keeping them from being able to carry oxygen. Salt helps protect against nitrIte poisoning because it competes with nitrIte for uptake thru the gills. After you get it salted, when you do partial water changes just add 1 tsp of salt per gallon changed till nitrItes come down to 0, then you can skip adding any more salt. Your partial water changes will then remove it over time.

Cutting back on feeding while your biobugs are getting back up to speed would also help.

Probably the ich/treatment or perhaps water quality.

Guest blueeyes203

i used "quick cure" for the ich...the ich was really bad...her entire back fin was covered with white spots. i had done the 3 treatments as recomended (1drop per gallon every 24 hours) last weekend (3rd treatment was sunday), but since it was so bad and still there monday, i did 5 drops (i have a 10 gal tank with 1 2" oranda) after a 50% water change. i left that night to go on vacation, and while gone, a friend stopped in once a day to feed her. everyday through this yesterday he fed her 1 unpealed pea and a pinch of presoaked crumbles. he also gave her another 5 drop treatment on thursday and the entire week the temp was up to 81 degrees and the tank covered in the dark. since i 1st started the quick cure treatment, the carbon filter has been out of the tank as the instructions directed.

as for the salt, when she 1st got the ich, i used salt the 1st day but spunky had gotten some burns on her belly b/c at the time she was also having swim bladder problems, so i stopped the salt treatment on the 1st day last friday. (of course i didn't think to put the salt in water separate and then add to prevent that)

i also had a plant in the tank that is officially "done" i think the treatment killed it, so when i did the water change when i got home, i removed the plant. Would a live plant also affect the nitrite levels, and if so, is it negative or positive?

do you have any advice on how to help repair or fix her fin and/or scales?

thank you for your help

You're welcome. :)

Keeping her water happy is the very best thing you can do.

Some people use melafix, but I'm in the less is better camp. I don't like the idea of adding tree sap to the water.

How's nitrIte doing now?

and how do the areas look now?

If you have enough light, fast growing plants like hornwort or anachris left floating would help some, cuz they use ammonia.

Guest blueeyes203

with a 50% waterchange yesterday, vacuuming and 2 1/2 tbls of salt, it's between 1 and 3. today, i'm going to do another water change and some more salt to try to get it down more.

i don't have any live plants right now...i'm trying to get spunky as healthy as possible b4 i start adding new factors to her environment. she is only about 2 inches long, so i know she's young

Archived