Sbd Is It True?

Lozbug

ok as some of you know, my Jackson (Ryukin) has sever SBD, i have tried everything, fast & peas or rice, medication, medigold.... nothing has made a difference.

I was looking at some of my books, and they say if nothing works withing a week - he should be killed!

is it true, is he in pain? is it cruel to keep him?

:cry1

I've heard that too; I had a fish with severe SBD, it didn't seem to hurt him, he just swam around upside down until he could right himself. Sometimes peas worked for me, sometimes not. Has Jackson's SBD come and go, enough for him to get food? Do you think he seems to be stressed out when he's floating? My Roano didn't seem to care whether he was right side up or not, just as long as he was able to get righted before supper and still be able to eat.

I think that question depends on how well Jackson deals with his SBD, some fish can get more stressed than others.

sorry loz but ryukin fish are the number one fish for sbd problems. if you think he is suffering then only you can decide. but there was the zoo pics up recently that showed a lot of their ryukins upside down. if he can still eat then it may be feasible that he will one day right himself.

i would try getting a shallower tank like my acrylic 4 gallon and having the water just six inches with a small heater.

:( Sorry Loz.....My daughter has a Ryukin the same way. I don't know,when you look at them floating upside down like that-they really don't seem to mind.I have one that does it everytime it eats.She floats a couple hours & then rights herself again. Koko swears by the gel food though.Have you given that a try yet? I'm collecting all the ingredients I need to make some-I figure that it's worth a try. :idont

Does he swim around and eat? Play? Is his quality of life still there? If so, then no you should not!

My Mopy has swim bladder troubles, and some days are worse then others, but i could never put her down. She swims and plays and eats like the other ones, she just has a bit of difficulty doing it. Shes been like this for almost a year, and she is still healthy and strong, if not a bit floaty and tippy as well.

If you could telll his quality of life was gone, and he wasnt eating and not swimming and looked generally unwell, maybe then yes he'd be suffering, but IMHO if the quality of life is there, then hes fine.

thanks guys, he is upside down 24/7 now - it has been weeks/months since he has been upright. he can still eat - if he dosent catch the food when i drop it, he will eat the plants - and has got the hang of swimming backwards upside down.

Devs, i havent tried gel food - i can nip out tomorrow and get some bits.. thanks.

he has always had a littel problem with his SB, but i put that down to me - when i got fish i didnt realise the care they needed & how some fish get more effected by this than others, i didnt know floating foods were bad (they lived on flakes & pellets for about 2 years!) so i know it is my fault - i just want to make sure i do all i can now. i really dont want to put him down, i dont think i could! when i read it i came straigt up here to consult you lot.

sometimes peas works, but to me... the GF is in pain. when my black moor died from SBD, he looked so painful and sad. i watched him until he went into the light...

Archived